Chaff collector not working

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
gary3917

#1: Post by gary3917 »

Hi all, I have a Santoker 3 kg and it will not send chaff to my chaff collector. I have played around with the air flow,reduced air flow to low and to med and hi , and my chaf goes out the vent pipe . I even put a screen with medium size holes in the chaff vent b4 it goes out the vent to stop it but it only clog it up real fast but I do see all off the chaff going straight out of my exterior vent .Is this a bad idea for my Sedona Elite 3200 ( Santoker 3kg) .The chaff collector is completely useless . I'm thinking the chaff motor is too strong and I have tried to reduce the suction ...but no help .Sure would love your ideas to help me or should I not worry about it ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-4OsjYgMUQ

littlenut

#2: Post by littlenut »

Let me confirm first.

The same cyclone separator and associated equipment are unchanged as far as you know?
The separator and associated equipment performed very well for an extended period of time?
All of a sudden it went to crap and nothing had changed as far as you know?
The only thing that has changed is that the cyclone separator stopped separating? All else remained unchanged?

If your air flow is the same, temps and pressures the same, and the internals are free of obstruction it should work as it did.

If all is clear of obstruction and you did not change a single thing look at temps, pressures, or flow rates that you don't measure or the gages that you do measure. Wish I could be more specific.

TomD

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

That does look like an awfully big motor on the exhaust fan. It also sounds like it's spinning very fast. Can you post a pick of the motor tag to see the specs?

Also, do the cigarette lighter trick on the trier port to check airflow. Open the damper all the way, then 50%, then 25%.

Rickpatbrown

#4: Post by Rickpatbrown »

You really need to look inside the cyclone. If a hole or something has rusted into it, it may allow a path for the chaff to go directly up into the fan.

If everything is intact and no blockage in the descending tube of the cyclone, then it must be your fan is too strong. I'm not sure what magnehilic number people typically get on these roasters, but it seem normal to me. This would indicate that you fan is not too strong.