Bread Machine/Heat Gun Roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Ruint (original poster)

#11: Post by Ruint (original poster) »

Jammin...thanks for poppin in. You all should listen to what the man says...he has probably forgotten more than we have learned on coffee roasting...but I'm trying to catch up to him.....just......got....t...o....catch.....my.............breathe!!!He gave me some solid pointers which was to use about a 12 oz load of green beans for roasting. Keep the gun about 3 inches or so from the beans, at the highest setting. Let the bread machine agitate the beans continually...I have no lid on my set up (currently) and have not had any trouble with doing a roast. Many of them actually. I'll admit to playing around a little with the distance to the beans, and even the load side. Both sides of the fence,,,way heavy and super light. A few seconds after you hear the 1st crack, turn the heat down. I only turn it down 1 setting which would be from 1350 watts to 1150 watts. I can achieve any range desired, whether it is city, or all the way to charcoal. I will be modding the top of my bm lid to accept some ss tubing...one that I can holster the heat gun in while it is running, which will deliver the heat to the chamber, and then the other for a chaff escape/exhaust. I have 2 thermo probes to put in as well, because I think it could help me tune in on the profile alot better than my infrared thermometer hitting the top of the bean mass while it is being agitated. My bread pan chamber measures 7.25 inches by 5.25 inches. I have not modified the bread paddle as I don't see the benefit of doing it. That thing as it is, moves those beans very nicely.That paddle is also the reason for why I'm not sure where to place the temp in the pan....
Once I was Good
Now I am
Ruint

Ruint (original poster)

#12: Post by Ruint (original poster) »

So...it took me a little bit, but here is what I have done to my roaster...it looks like hell, but....it does work! :lol:
Once I was Good
Now I am
Ruint

Advertisement
Mbb

#13: Post by Mbb »

Theres far more to roasting coffee well than simply turning beans brown..... :?

Environment temp is the one thing I wouldnt even bother to roast without, besides stopwatch. If heat source can exceed~ 250 C. If self limiting like popper...no problem.

Results can look good but taste awful if too hot.

renatoa

#14: Post by renatoa »

I would be worried also about turning speed of these bread machines... counted about 180 RPM in a movie on youtube, is way too much imo, the paddle smack could led to bean break instead crack.

A better approach would be replacement of the paddle with an auger, a la Nesco, creating a bottom up movement fluid bed fountain like.

justgrindit

#15: Post by justgrindit replying to renatoa »

I'd be interested in seeing the studies or measurements you're basing your affirmations above on, assuming you're not just talking.

renatoa

#16: Post by renatoa »

Guess the industry don't sponsor studies about coffee roasting using bread machines ;)
There isn't a drum there to roll the beans, it's a paddle smashing beans with enough force to worry me without doing any study, just looking, especially knowing there are coffee grinders turning at 140 RPM...
Building so far some ... five roasters, I am assuming I am not just talking...

justgrindit

#17: Post by justgrindit »

renatoa wrote:to worry me without doing any study
Got it, it's all clear now.

Advertisement
curmudgeon

#18: Post by curmudgeon »

Or just throw a $20 motor controller from Amazon into the mix. Now I can go from full speed to 1rpm, should I choose to go that slow.

There really isn't any crushing - it's an open system that allows for the beans to move around the paddle. Also, given the speed of a standard drum and the agitation of the beans in that style roaster, I'm actually inclined to keep the rpms on the higher side to promote evenness.

Ruint (original poster)

#19: Post by Ruint (original poster) »

So far gentlemen...I have not smashed any beans...done over 46 pounds on this one. I will concur with you on the paddle is moving fairly quick...it moves the mass of beans very nicely, almost like a wave, which agreeing with curmudgeon on that helps promote a more even bean roast with better spread of heat.In the next couple of days I will be doing numerous roasts with it and will try to get a video to post of it, along with the beans that were produced.
Once I was Good
Now I am
Ruint

Ruint (original poster)

#20: Post by Ruint (original poster) »

Also to note...of the many roasts I've done...just turning my beans brown and all...it's relatively strange that everyone...not even the majority of them, but everyone is very pleased, and I have a good many of those that have sworn off drinking coffees produced else where. Couldn't be too bad of coffee if you get that kind of response. I acknowledge not being an extraordinary roaster...but instead of nay saying and talking down your nose at people, I'm trying to better my craft. I have heat probes for BT and ET. The heat gun I use puts temperatures of 500*+ into the chamber. I do temperature reads every minute, and even though I don't use artison or other software, I could show you a RoR profile for every one of those roasts off a graph plotting.
Once I was Good
Now I am
Ruint