Did my first full run on manual control with 250grams of Espresso blend from Sweet Marias.
BT thermometer was a complete fail. I was getting temps that were 40* below the bean temp taken with infrared from the top. The hobby lobby thermometers did not work at all as well, I was reading way lower on my heater thermometer than I was at the top of the beans. So I was flying a bit blind on the heater setting.
The bigger problem was I ran out of throttle. In the beginning it wasn't going too badly. I was using one of Almico's curves for a general guide to ramp speed. I got to about 350* and ran out of throttle. About a min later I started reducing the bean loft to the absolute minimum to try get the heat up. I was right on the edge of the beans not moving and had to bump the airflow back up a few times to get them moving again. In the end it took about 14mins to hit FC and at 16 mins got to 446* and hit cooling cycle. Only took about 3 mins to cool in the chamber.
problem 1 measurements:
Not quite sure where to go from here. Need to find a new way to measure BT, the hole I drilled in the heater should be fairly easy to stick a proper thermocouple in for ET. A wider cone would help to get out of jet flow but I know guys are using 2-4" columns so there has to be a solution out there. I figure a thermocouple sticking a half inch into the lower cone might work? Or I zip off the thermowell and stick the naked TC directly into the side a half an inch in.
Problem 2 heat:
I need to get a clamp meter on the wires to see how many amps I'm pushing into the 2000 watt heater, but the element was running at about 1000*f per the soft red glow. I should have plenty of head space (nearly 7000watts available) on the wiring and controller side. I can insulate the side of the heater tube, but honestly it wasn't that hot to the touch. I doubt I was loosing too much energy through the sides. false1001 mentioned changing the flow pattern to reduce the number of holes, I can drill a restrictor plate easy enough, just worried about beans getting stuck at the edges.
All in all I did FINALLY get them to temp(444*) after 16 mins...