Brainstorming theoretical fluid bed build - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Elfmaze (original poster)

#11: Post by Elfmaze (original poster) »

Guess I've moved past "theoretical" build.

Got some of the parts in for my roaster... Nice heavy gauge stuff. just hoping the silicon gaskets hold up to the heat. Company claims 600* but I don't know if I believe that.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by TenLayers »

Whoah!
Can't wait to watch this come together.

Advertisement
crunchybean

#13: Post by crunchybean »

Is it getting hot in here or is it just all that stainless steel. You know what most people don't make, a quiet roaster. Maybe keep that in mind...

#14: Post by Elfmaze (original poster) »

crunchybean wrote: You know what most people don't make, a quiet roaster. Maybe keep that in mind...
? As far as fan noise?

crunchybean

#15: Post by crunchybean replying to Elfmaze »

Fan motor noise is no.1, after that is the beans sloshing around. I'm not sure if there are motors made to be quiet and long lasting. But I do know you can build a plexiglass container for noise reduction at least around the chamber. Also what level of portability for your machine did you have in mind? Maybe think about where it's home in your home it is going to be, and how you are going to filter or vent the machine (going outside).

#16: Post by Elfmaze (original poster) »

I have two ideas. one is a Heavy base, thing is a bit tippy. possibly a converted old 1/4 keg. the fan motor inside with foam lining the keg should keep some noise down. The other idea is to have the fan in the basement and the roaster wall mounted on the back porch(semi enclosed). would be easy to "plumb" the exhaust outside and the fan being in the basement would all but eliminate fan noise during roasting. beans hitting the glass I haven't thought about yet.

#17: Post by Elfmaze (original poster) »

I'm thinking I will use this old oil tank I have sitting around. should be able to pack some foam around the inside to eat up some of the fan noise.

Advertisement

#18: Post by Elfmaze (original poster) »

This is the Beans temp probe location ... not sure how well it will work there or not... but that is where it is. I am thinking I need to add a second temp probe at the exit of the heater tube.

false1001

#19: Post by false1001 »

Very interested in the parts list... are those home brewing piping/fittings?

Phoenixxx3

#20: Post by Phoenixxx3 »

Looks nice!
I am also interested which parts you ordered from stilldragon.eu
Which heating elements are those? Do you plan to use both?