Book: Coffee Roasting Made Simple by Raimond Feil

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Dec 07, 2018, 8:34 am

There's a new book available that teaches coffee roasting principles including sample roasting, production roasting, maintenance, quality control, etc. I'm not familiar with the author but I believe the more people sharing their knowledge the better for everyone. It looks like it's about $42 USD and you can preview a chapter by registering an email. If anyone picks a copy up, please share your impressions.

It's available here.

happycat

Postby happycat » Dec 07, 2018, 1:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I downloaded the sample and will read it later.

I would be ecstatic if these kinds of books were released as ebooks. My physical hardcover Rao roasting book is trapped back in another city and I was annoyed to have to buy a hardcover from the States and have it shipped up here for $$$. You have to wait for it, and it doesn't fit in a condo mailbox anyway.

I don't find it romantic to buy, ship, read, shelve, and schlep physical things :( I'd love to study roasting and reflect on changes to make just by pulling out my idevice on the subway, bus, in a mall when the wife is shopping, etc. along with all the other books, textbooks, articles etc. I have already

I find the digital generation's fetish for physical objects kind of weird... and yes they have told me why they prefer them :D
LMWDP #603

edtbjon

Postby edtbjon » Dec 08, 2018, 7:33 am

I got the book in the mail yesterday. I havn't had time to read it yet, but I will come back next week with some kind of report of my impressions.
But from just glancing at the contents etc. it seems to be somewhere in between Scott Rao's book and Rob Hoos' book. There is IMO a significant void in between those two books, which this book may fill.

Almico

Postby Almico » Dec 08, 2018, 9:19 am

happycat wrote:I find the digital generation's fetish for physical objects kind of weird... and yes they have told me why they prefer them :D

I have a rather sophisticated audio system. Most times I'm lazy and play Pandora stations, but the first time I pulled out a vinyl disk, placed it on the platter and gently lowered the tonearm, my teenage boys were flabbergasted that all that sound came from that tiny union of needle and groove.

I work in a small town where they have a steam locomotive train that runs tourists through the countryside. The engine is not the most massive I've ever seen, but as I watched it chug along the other day, it dawned on me that we probably couldn't build anything like that today. Sure, we can make a nice computer model of one, but....

What we have done in the physical world will alway trump the digital for me.

As far as the book, I read the first chapter and it was intriguing. The message was to find the sweet spot in every single aspect of coffee, from ripening cherries to the water we brew with. It's a nice principle, but it would be even nicer if he gave instructions how to actually achieve that perfect balance.

I remember a cartoon from Mad Magazine many years ago. A little boy had received a model kit to build the USS Constitution. The box had a beautiful picture of the exquisitely detailed ship you could build with the wonders inside this box with bold letter claiming "Complete Instructions Inside". When he opened the box there was one large block of wood, a carving knife and a single sheet of paper that said "Carve out block of wood to look like this:", with a picture the completed model below.

I've found a lot of coffee instruction to be very similar. Roast it till it tastes good, grind it till it tastes good, brew it till it tastes good. There is precious little information on just how to achieve it.

bicktrav

Postby bicktrav » Dec 08, 2018, 11:53 am

Interested in this one. Let us know how it is!

wayneg1

Postby wayneg1 » Dec 08, 2018, 5:55 pm

I read the first chapter also. Was a decent teaser but like was said earlier, not sure it's enough to explain the details of achieving the results he speaks of. Looking at the table of contents it doesn't really lead you to believe there is a "this is how you do it" section. Hard to tell from just one chapter.

happycat

Postby happycat » Dec 08, 2018, 6:58 pm

Almico wrote:
What we have done in the physical world will alway trump the digital for me.

Cool. Enjoy. I got a notice yesterday that my thesis has been downloaded 50 times from researchgate... if it were hard copy, it would be at my university and the national archives and readers would be zero :(

I read the first chapter of the book and lost interest. A $15 ebook I might've bitten anyway.
LMWDP #603

Almico

Postby Almico » Dec 09, 2018, 10:19 am

I get it. Digital media certainly has its place. But some things are just better holding them in your hand instead of looking at a screen. Photographs are a perfect example. Hand written letters or notes are another.

RaimondF

Postby RaimondF » Dec 23, 2018, 3:32 am

Hi everyone,

Accidentally stumbled upon this post here.

Thanks TomC for posting about the book here. :)

Talking about the e-book. I have been thinking of creating one but am not sure how big is the market. I am keeping my eyes and ears open so if the demand fir the e-book will be big enough I probably make it happen. Right now I slowly collect information on that.
By the way I intentionally made the book with Flexo covers - it's kind of a mix of hard and softcover that has best bits from both integrated into one. So it's not that bulky and heavy but is light and flexible but still the pages are properly sewn together so it will not gonna fall apart. And it has 160 pages in total.

Talking about the contents: you guys are right and Thanks for bringing it up. I really appreciate the honest feedback! After I reed your discussion here I went back to the book and check it's content out. Yes, it seems I have made a mistake by not making the content clear enough. So now I'm working on the solution. At some point I'll release a video where I explain the content more clearly. "What you'll get once you read the book?"

The free download of the First Chapter was meant to give people insight into the book, its style and feel. It discusses why its a good idea to have a roasting philosophy of your own and I share mine too with explanation of why. The other thing I talk there is a principle that governs the roasting process. discovering and understanding of that principle made a huge shift in the way i was roasting. So it think it's a must thing to share with anyone. Although the principle is pretty simple by its nature.

The Second Chapter talks about profiles, I break the profiles into parts and explain how each part affects the next part, how to properly control them and how each that part affects the taste development in the final cup. Also, I have a short section where I explain how the length and depth of the first and second phase of the profile affect the final taste in the cup again. I share away all of my actual roast profiles for different coffees with side notes for extra explanation. - Then I talk about espresso roasting, blending where I share my practices and explain why i did the way i did and give dos and don'ts of the blending. I also share away my espresso profiles, discuss their differences with filter roast profiles and finally give some ideas how to modify the very same profiles if you'll happen to prefer darker or lighter roasts.

Chapter 3 is about sample roasting on a traditional Probat styled unmodified sample roaster with factory settings.I introduce how you can consistently roast profiles on it. I'll explain step by step how to create and develop profiles on it. And also explain how you can precisely read the factory temperature gauge so you can create the accurate profiles in the first place. I share all my sample profile "recipes" for different types of coffees.

Chapter 4 is about transferring the profiles either form one roaster to another or from sample roaster to production roaster if you happen to created your profiles on a sample roaster. That's what I did during the last 3 years and last business I worked with. I go through transferring process step by step for both situations on how to build the profile up on another machine so the taste of the coffee would end up being identical or close to identical. (as sometimes some taste differences come from the technology the roaster uses, Loring for example gives very clean and sometimes sterile-ish taste to coffee compared to most traditional coffee roasters)

In Chapter 5 I share my practices of quality control and how we maintained it in our daily job. I talk about stuff what we did and about some stuff we did not do and why.

Chapter 6 came out as an collection of different short stuff about things that are good to know when you deal with coffee roasting. I divided them in to 3 sections: tasting, cleanliness of the machine and roasting. At the end of the roasting section I share tests that anyone can do to understand better coffee and roasting overall and as well use the same experiments to develop or improve their present roasts.

Hopefully that short content conclusion here helps to clarify some questions about what's inside the book.

Anyway, I'll be super happy if you guys keep posting your honest thoughts and feedback on the book. It means so much to me and will help other readers to engage and get better understanding of the book before making purchase decisions.
BTW - we ship worldwide! (I get this question a lot, if we ship to US etc., yes, we do!)
Thanks for your discussion here in the forum! :D
Raimond Feil

Neil.Pryde

Postby Neil.Pryde » Dec 23, 2018, 9:13 am

E-book please,or payment via Paypal for the book.
Thank's