Book: Coffee Roasting Made Simple by Raimond Feil

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Dec 07, 2018, 8:34 am

There's a new book available that teaches coffee roasting principles including sample roasting, production roasting, maintenance, quality control, etc. I'm not familiar with the author but I believe the more people sharing their knowledge the better for everyone. It looks like it's about $42 USD and you can preview a chapter by registering an email. If anyone picks a copy up, please share your impressions.

It's available here.

happycat

Postby happycat » Dec 07, 2018, 1:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I downloaded the sample and will read it later.

I would be ecstatic if these kinds of books were released as ebooks. My physical hardcover Rao roasting book is trapped back in another city and I was annoyed to have to buy a hardcover from the States and have it shipped up here for $$$. You have to wait for it, and it doesn't fit in a condo mailbox anyway.

I don't find it romantic to buy, ship, read, shelve, and schlep physical things :( I'd love to study roasting and reflect on changes to make just by pulling out my idevice on the subway, bus, in a mall when the wife is shopping, etc. along with all the other books, textbooks, articles etc. I have already

I find the digital generation's fetish for physical objects kind of weird... and yes they have told me why they prefer them :D
LMWDP #603

edtbjon

Postby edtbjon » Dec 08, 2018, 7:33 am

I got the book in the mail yesterday. I havn't had time to read it yet, but I will come back next week with some kind of report of my impressions.
But from just glancing at the contents etc. it seems to be somewhere in between Scott Rao's book and Rob Hoos' book. There is IMO a significant void in between those two books, which this book may fill.

Almico

Postby Almico » Dec 08, 2018, 9:19 am

happycat wrote:I find the digital generation's fetish for physical objects kind of weird... and yes they have told me why they prefer them :D

I have a rather sophisticated audio system. Most times I'm lazy and play Pandora stations, but the first time I pulled out a vinyl disk, placed it on the platter and gently lowered the tonearm, my teenage boys were flabbergasted that all that sound came from that tiny union of needle and groove.

I work in a small town where they have a steam locomotive train that runs tourists through the countryside. The engine is not the most massive I've ever seen, but as I watched it chug along the other day, it dawned on me that we probably couldn't build anything like that today. Sure, we can make a nice computer model of one, but....

What we have done in the physical world will alway trump the digital for me.

As far as the book, I read the first chapter and it was intriguing. The message was to find the sweet spot in every single aspect of coffee, from ripening cherries to the water we brew with. It's a nice principle, but it would be even nicer if he gave instructions how to actually achieve that perfect balance.

I remember a cartoon from Mad Magazine many years ago. A little boy had received a model kit to build the USS Constitution. The box had a beautiful picture of the exquisitely detailed ship you could build with the wonders inside this box with bold letter claiming "Complete Instructions Inside". When he opened the box there was one large block of wood, a carving knife and a single sheet of paper that said "Carve out block of wood to look like this:", with a picture the completed model below.

I've found a lot of coffee instruction to be very similar. Roast it till it tastes good, grind it till it tastes good, brew it till it tastes good. There is precious little information on just how to achieve it.

bicktrav

Postby bicktrav » Dec 08, 2018, 11:53 am

Interested in this one. Let us know how it is!

wayneg1

Postby wayneg1 » Dec 08, 2018, 5:55 pm

I read the first chapter also. Was a decent teaser but like was said earlier, not sure it's enough to explain the details of achieving the results he speaks of. Looking at the table of contents it doesn't really lead you to believe there is a "this is how you do it" section. Hard to tell from just one chapter.

happycat

Postby happycat » Dec 08, 2018, 6:58 pm

Almico wrote:
What we have done in the physical world will alway trump the digital for me.

Cool. Enjoy. I got a notice yesterday that my thesis has been downloaded 50 times from researchgate... if it were hard copy, it would be at my university and the national archives and readers would be zero :(

I read the first chapter of the book and lost interest. A $15 ebook I might've bitten anyway.
LMWDP #603

Almico

Postby Almico » Dec 09, 2018, 10:19 am

I get it. Digital media certainly has its place. But some things are just better holding them in your hand instead of looking at a screen. Photographs are a perfect example. Hand written letters or notes are another.