Best Green Coffee 2016

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JK

#1: Post by JK »

I just checked a few places and I see Ethiopia coffee has started to be sold..
I'm ready to buy some Ethiopian and Guatemalan but I'm flying blind and hope someone with a good palate can shed some light..
I'm just not sure when to buy or where I want it to be grown..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Depends on what you like. I'm waiting anxiously for Ethiopian naturals to come in. I really like em but my buddy Johnny over at Prayer House Coffee likes washed process Ethiopian. Sweet Maria's or Coffee Shrub, depending on your quantity needs, is a good place to buy.

johnny4lsu

#3: Post by johnny4lsu »

Ole David knows me well. I used to absolutely love naturals. Now I love washed. I really think one day I'll enjoy a good natural again. When I first got into specialty coffee I would pounce on every 90+ natural that I could find. I got burnt out on them.

May try the green coffee buying club as they seem to only like and distribute naturals. (at least 90% of them at least)

RobertL

#4: Post by RobertL »

Other than Sweet Maria's I would suggest checking with Mill City Roasters. I'm sure Dave (BoldJava) will be bringing in some Ethiopians and Guatemalans as they become available.

JK (original poster)

#5: Post by JK (original poster) »

Hi Robert,
I will be checking with Dave for sure..
I'm just trying to learn a little more about buying..
Last few years I have been buying from GCBC and Klatch when they have free shipping..
I buy on impulse and trying to learn what regions are known for the best coffee and not just get sucked in with a 90+ score...

heavyduty

#6: Post by heavyduty »

I'm sure most people here would say the best Ethiopians are in the area of Yirga Cheffe for both washed and naturals. Just yesterday SM is offering a washed Buufata Konga that just arrived in May (92.4 :wink: ). Can't go wrong with Konga, although I'm waiting for the naturals also. This offering looks to be for drip.
Ethiopia to me is like trying to understand a Burgundy label for the first time. Regions, Zones, Sub Zones, Districts or Woredas, towns, co-ops, mills, it's really confusing. It's really sad that you can find a wine book on anything from Barossa Shiraz to Texas Hill Country Wines, but can't find a good book (at least to my knowledge) on the birthplace of coffee (explaining all of this).
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Almico

#7: Post by Almico »

I just picked up 2 bags of the Ethiopian DP Hambela single farm special prep from RoyalNY. It appears to top last years batch, if that's possible. The bag does nothing to indicate the glorious goodness of the contents.

JK (original poster)

#8: Post by JK (original poster) »

Looks like good stuff..