Best blend for good espresso - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
walt_in_hawaii

#11: Post by walt_in_hawaii » Nov 06, 2018, 1:17 pm

Ziv Sade wrote:Thanks once again Jim.

The bitter choclate notes comes from the PNG?
I find chocolate hit or miss as well, but when they are there I find its largely how dark you take it. I almost never get it from lightly roasted ethiopians, for instance. Being a home roaster, I can't stock 6 or 7 different beans to mix each morning, that would be too much work; but I do routinely have 3 different beans at each roast session... I've never tried robusta, though. Thanks for the tip, Jim, I had no idea they would last that long post-roast! I'll try a little bit on the next order...

Ziv Sade

#12: Post by Ziv Sade » Nov 06, 2018, 2:30 pm

Thanks Jim & Walt

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Nunas » Nov 06, 2018, 4:09 pm

My current favourite is about 60% Brazilian santos and 40% Etheopian yergacheffe. I stop the roast about 10-degrees Celsius BT temperature rise after 1C starts (1C has more than ended and 2C is not started at all). I don't usually have any hanging around, but when I do I sometimes substitute 5% robusta for some of the santos. I roast the santos and the yerg pre-mixed, but the robusta apart, adding post roast. BTW, we like both the santos and the yerg as SO espresso. Lately, we've tried Costa Rica tarrazu as an SO espresso...really like it. I've not yet tried blending it into the above, but as an SO it's really full bodied with a wonderful chocolate/tobacco aftertaste that lingers.

Enjazlines

#14: Post by Enjazlines » Oct 11, 2019, 5:45 am

Thank you so much
I will tell you how I make my espresso and you tell me what is my mistakes
1- mix all kind of bean in my blend in plastic box
I use for 10 kg of espresso 5kg colombian sobramo
3 custa rica 2 Brazilian santos
2- I put them together in my roster machine when the temperature is 180
After I got my medium color I Take it out of the machine this takes 90 mint
3- I keep it out of the machine to be a little cold
4 - I take roasted bean from machine using the small plastic box and put it in big plastic box for 12 hours
After that I pack it in my Almnum bags to sale it

And I got my very bad espresso :|

lsun22

#15: Post by lsun22 » replying to Enjazlines » Oct 12, 2019, 2:51 am

Roasted until medium color? Did that finish first crack?

The whole process takes 90 mint. 90 minutes? That's way too long, what are you roasting on.

Enjazlines

#16: Post by Enjazlines » Oct 12, 2019, 7:09 am

Yes it's first crack
And my machine is local made not prof machine

domi

#17: Post by domi » Oct 12, 2019, 7:31 am

lsun22 wrote: what are you roasting on.
Pictures of the roaster were included in the first post of this topic.

Enjazlines

#18: Post by Enjazlines » Oct 12, 2019, 7:50 am

Yes it is

another_jim
Team HB

#19: Post by another_jim » Oct 12, 2019, 2:20 pm

For a ventilated roaster like yours, roasts should take 12 to 15 minutes for acidic, lighter roasts; and no more than 15 to 18 if you want to low acidity. If the roasts are taking 90 minutes, something has gone very wrong. Maybe you are overloading your roaster, or maybe you have it much to cool when loading the beans. 180C can be the right loading temperature, or it can be low.

One way to get on track is to run your roaster empty and maintain the gas flow so that it runs at a steady 225C to 235C. In a proper roast, you should be running at about that gas flow rate when you approach the first crack; the gas flow should be higher at the beginning of the roast, when the beans need to absorb heat, and lower at the end, when the beans and drum have excess heat.

Even better is if you can install a temperature sensor for the drum (toward the rear of the roaster, between the drum and outer jacket. Holding this "environmental temperature" fairly stead through the roast will get you on the right track. The target temperature will depend on the exact location of the probe in relation to the gas burners and air flow. It can be anywhere from 225C to 300C. Whatever it shows when the bean temperature sensor shows 225 in the empty, preheating roaster will be about right.
Jim Schulman

Marcelnl

#20: Post by Marcelnl » Oct 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

You should be able to find out how large the Volume of your drum is, that tells you a lot about the amount of beans you can roast (that is IF the burner has enough capacity), 90 minutes is far too long.
LMWDP #483