Behmor 1600 lightbulb change

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jeffgerards

#1: Post by jeffgerards »

Has anyone experimented with changing the lightbulb with a more neutral color LED in their Behmor 1600? I hate how yellow tinted the bulb is. Makes it difficult to judge when the yellowing phase ends and the maillard phase begins. Would standard LED bulbs be able to handle the temps from the unit and if not, do high temp LED bulbs exist?

Jeff

Espresso_Junky

#2: Post by Espresso_Junky »

I don't have a Behmor, but great question and I totally understand it. I home roast with a heat gun/sifter setup I devised/built and roast outdoors in low light conditions often. I simply hate warm tinted lights and always prefer neutral-cool white LEDs for flashlights, lamp bulbs, etc. As I'm roasting I check bean development quite a lot with a flashlight and will say the warmer tints do give a more accurate appearance for bean development than cooler LEDs like 4500K and higher. Not drastically different, but I've gone a bit farther toward/into 2C than I prefer because of this as the cool white gave the coffee a brighter look than it actually had.

nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by nirdvorai »

I was under impression that the yellow tint came from the color of the viewing glass, that seems a bit yellowish.
But please update if changing the bulb help to reduce the yellow.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster replying to nirdvorai »

You may need to clean the viewing glass, the one on my old Behmor is clear.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DavidZ

#5: Post by DavidZ »

Have you posed this question to Behmor? If not, I suggest you do that.

nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by nirdvorai »

After cleaning with windex, still appear to be tinted.
This is the new black body Behmor.

mckolit

#7: Post by mckolit »

It's the bulb. Very yellow oven light. I had to replace mine but bought another yellow oven bulb. When I use a flashlight with white leds, the colors are okay. Other than the bulb, there's a piece of glass over it and that's it for protection. Don't know if the oven bulbs have a special coating on em or if it's the glass that protects it from the heat.