Artisian 2.0.0 , Phidgets Wireless VINT Hub, 4X TMP1101

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
elcray

#1: Post by elcray »

We received our Phidgets products this weekend and got everything wired up to our Kaldi Fortis. Using the Wireless VINT Hub with a single 4X TMP1101 for channel TC device. Wired the K type sensors in order from the Fortis probe markings: T1(BT) = port 0 om the 1101 and T2(ET) = port 1 on the 1101. We are reading temperatures from the Phidgets control panel.

In Artisian, we configured the Device, ET/BT, Meter to TMP1101 4xTC 01.

On the device, Phidets (tab), TMP1101 TC group box, we have tried both Async and unselected for the channels we are using, but do not read results on either thermocouple.

We are very new to Artisian and are most certainly missing something. Any suggestions?

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Your Artisan configuration and your hardware configuration looks correct to me. I assume you have the current Phidget v22 driver installed.

You need to close the Phidget Control Panel to allow Artisan to access the hardware. The driver (in non-network mode) allows only one app to access the hardware and the Phidget Control Panel is just one app.

elcray (original poster)

#3: Post by elcray (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

Spot on! I did not know about the multiple devices and the control panel needing to be closed (and I've used Phidgets devices for years....toyed around with a 3 wheel pitching machine 6 years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfnjGRQCbg and an automated smoker 12 years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgG6cYH72lo). But your comment on the network option reminded me to investigate this again. I removed the password I entered, thinking it was the web host password that was needed. In fact, it needed to be blank. Tried it again with that option checked and it is now reading the TC values. Thanks so much!

I am curious, how does it now to use the 4X TC device plugged into channel 0. I plugged it into channel 1 and it worked as well. What happens when I plug in other devices into the VINT hub? I would like to have other devices for ambient temperature, as well as a high temp thermocouple for burner temp (to calculate the temperature delta time between the burner and and bean temp). Knowing how I tend to go overboard on most things, I'm sure that means I will need to add further devices. How will it know to use the correct thermocouple inputs?

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

elcray wrote:I am curious, how does it now to use the 4X TC device plugged into channel 0. I plugged it into channel 1 and it worked as well. What happens when I plug in other devices into the VINT hub? I would like to have other devices for ambient temperature, as well as a high temp thermocouple for burner temp (to calculate the temperature delta time between the burner and and bean temp). Knowing how I tend to go overboard on most things, I'm sure that means I will need to add further devices. How will it know to use the correct thermocouple inputs?
This magic is done mostly by the Phidget driver. Like with an USB hub, it does not matter to which port you plug in a Phidget module. It will be recognized by the driver and announced to Artisan. So you can just plug-in extra Phidget Ambient modules (HUM1000/PRE1000) and tell Artisan in the Ambient tab that it should harvest their data as Ambient data registered directly to the Roast Properties. Further TCs, eg for the burner temperature (or also for a simple ambient temperature), you can just attach to one of the remaining ports of the TMP1101 and add an extra device of type "Phidget TMP1101 4xTC 23" to have Artisan read in those other two channels too.