Artisan with French Roast SR500 - New to home roasting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rylo100

#1: Post by Rylo100 »

Let me start off by saying thanks for clicking on my post. This is my first post and would love some help. I recently started home roasting with a Fresh Roast SR500. I use Artisan 0.9.9 and a Amprobe TMD-56 with two K-Type thermocouples. I have everything working, to some extent. My Artisan is set up for BT and ET with a Delta BT. I do not have a RoR set up. My thermocouples are placed in the glass container for the ET and the BT thermocouple is at the top of the chaff collector.

I would like to know how to actually roast coffee with the SR500. My first roasts were a little shaky, but my newer ones look better.
This is my very first roast.

On these next two, I am roasting the same bean. Along the way, someone told me to let the roast go longer, so I added the "hills" in the roast.

I would like to know how to setup the RoR in artisan, and have the bars for Power and Fan like I see in some YouTube videos. I would also like to know if the "hills" technique is acceptable or if I should manage my roasts a different way? Going with that last question, should I be doing something different with my roasts to get the beans to taste better? Also, I see people changing the properties of the roast before and after they start the roast, should I be doing that? If so, could you please explain that to me?

Thank you very, very much, Rylo100 (Ryan).

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

An answer to one very small part of your inquiry: deltaBT is the same as ROR.

And you set it to display (curves and/or LCD) in Tools > Extras

Advertisement
Rylo100 (original poster)

#3: Post by Rylo100 (original poster) »

SJM wrote:An answer to one very small part of your inquiry: deltaBT is the same as ROR.
Thanks!
Hope this helps,
Rylo100 (Ryan)

LDT

#4: Post by LDT »

I started with a Fresh Roast 500 and got some good roasts doing what you did, turning the heat on and off for the first several minutes. I think other Fresh Roast users just use low heat to start and increase heat later. Hopefully, others who use these small fluid bed roasters, can tell you what they do to get good roasts or what they remember doing when they used this roaster. Good luck. :D

#5: Post by Rylo100 (original poster) replying to LDT »

Ok, Thank you for your reply. I will countinue turning the heat on and off for the fist couple minutes, unless someone says otherwise.
Thanks, Ryan.
Hope this helps,
Rylo100 (Ryan)

day

#6: Post by day »

There is a beta software that gives much better control I think it's still called openroast but might be roastero anyway, check out the Facebook group. Honestly you can achieve really nice roasts up to first crack, but at that point the inconsistencies of the temperature (swaying from high to low rapidly) cause for imprecise roast management and inability to consistently get the best from each bean. Works well for most though, but always irritated me.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#7: Post by Rylo100 (original poster) replying to day »

Is that software only for the French Roast SR700?
Hope this helps,
Rylo100 (Ryan)

Advertisement
day

#8: Post by day »

Oh shoot yea, sorry about that, was out and about. Still, the Facebook group is the best source of applicable information
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#9: Post by Rylo100 (original poster) replying to day »

Ok, thanks for you reply.
Hope this helps,
Rylo100 (Ryan)