Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Getting closer with settings I'm comfortable with. A bit more tweaking yet but were close.

DEG

#2: Post by DEG »

Just curious and I'm in no way being critical, but compared to my roasts/roaster, your charge temps are a lot lower, your peak ROR is really high compared to my roasts, and your overall roasts are really fast. Your stage ratios seem appropriate, or typical. How does the coffee taste in these roast conditions? Do you get any roast defects - tipping, charring?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

David if you look closely at the graph he didn't hit charge early enough. Michael for learning, try going back and reloaing this profile and move the charge event back to the start of the graphs and repost please. At least that is what I am seeing from the downward slope to the left of charge.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

DEG

#4: Post by DEG »

You are right Michael. I didn't pick up that charge had been selected late. I'm sure that changes my first point of interest.

wayneg1

#5: Post by wayneg1 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:David if you look closely at the graph he didn't hit charge early enough. Michael for learning, try going back and reloaing this profile and move the charge event back to the start of the graphs and repost please. At least that is what I am seeing from the downward slope to the left of charge.
That may, or may not be true, because I have this same scenario at times and my roaster is similar to his. My burners are very powerful so I have a tendency to charge lower. With the soak I hit start and wait until the temp drops before I charge. I have mine set to auto charge but then I adjust it to the correct temp. Every so often it will show that lag at the beginning. Unless there is some other adjustment I'm unaware of I don't know how to eliminate it.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to wayneg1 »

True, it may not be true. Although I find this happens often with new users. Lots of muscle memory to develop. Also depends on ambient conditions and if the roaster was fully warmed up.

That said I haven't seen many profiles here that can charge at 306F and hit FC at 6:12.

That said I am curious why ET and BT start off nearly the same? I am also curious if the low charge is the reason that ET crosses over BT so early. There was just not enough energy there to keep going.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Thanks, folks for the replies. Charge is right on the graph. I hit the start button in Artisan but don't charge for 10-15 seconds. I've don't a few tests on the recommendation of EGB. Been real busy around here so roasting has taken a back seat to other priorities. Were heading to Yellowstone Tuesday and tying up loose ends along with building another pair of speakers.

The French Dude

#8: Post by The French Dude »

Is 2 min or so for Maillard phase sufficent? How does it taste?
Everybody told me 4 min is a minimum... I am lost ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I wouldn't put too much creed on any of mt roasts. Some taste really good and some bland.

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

The French Dude wrote:Is 2 min or so for Maillard phase sufficent? How does it taste?
Everybody told me 4 min is a minimum... I am lost ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It depends on how Maillard is being defined. Maillard is a very complex process which is typically understood to be the phase from dry to 1C. Although technically it starts before dry and ends after 1C.

The roasting phases can be best expressed as a ratio. No sense in a 2 minute Maillard when charge to dry is 6 minutes. A 5/4/3 ratio is a pretty good start for "normal" coffee. 5 minutes to dry, 4 minutes to 1C and 3 minutes to drop. That would yield a 25% development time. Dropping at 2 minutes, without changing anything else, gives you 20% and a lighter roast.