Artisan - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The French Dude wrote:Is 2 min or so for Maillard phase sufficent? How does it taste?
Everybody told me 4 min is a minimum... I am lost ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My roasts are anywhere from 1:45 to 2:30 on average and very happy with them. If my neighbor wants his dark roast, then it goes 3 or more. I am not a fan but he likes it and he's a hell of a great neighbor.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

hankua
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by hankua »

I think the OP marked EOD too late, 300f-320f would be more in the range I would use (150c). Since we've all come to realize EOD is an artificial descriptor, it makes better sense to use the same landmark all the time; regardless of when the beans turn yellow.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to hankua »

Hank, interesting that you say that as I have come to accept a range of 320-330 on my machine. That does impact calculation of the phases. Can you elaborate why you feel it makes sense to use this landmark all the time. Thanks, Michael
Artisan.Plus User-

jammin

#14: Post by jammin »

I find EOD to be an "artificial" benchmark as well. Color change averages 310* for me so I just have Artisan auto-mark it for me. I use it more as a time stamp to gauge roast progression

Almico

#15: Post by Almico »

I have EOD auto-marked at 300* in Artisan, but I'm finding it regularly occurs earlier on the drum machine. I need to make the permanent adjustment.

But I agree, I do not stand over the roaster waiting for a precise EOD time. I live for the day that EOD, +/- 10s has a perceptible effect on my coffee.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by hankua »

Sure, for a couple of reasons. One is that based on his first crack temperature of 200c, I think the yellowing range is 150-160c. And then again if your first crack temperature is 185c maybe the EOD is lower? So I'm not saying it's supposed to be a certain number, just that it makes sense to artifically make EOD the same for every roast. And if one is using Artisan the internal calculations will be more consistent from roast to roast. It also splits the three phases into logical segments, as first crack occurs around the same temperature. For manual roasting with pen and paper, especially using *C, having a set EOD point makes it easy to mark up changes in even increments; if one is using a declining heat profile strategy.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#17: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Almico wrote:I have EOD auto-marked at 300* in Artisan, but I'm finding it regularly occurs earlier on the drum machine. I need to make the permanent adjustment.

But I agree, I do not stand over the roaster waiting for a precise EOD time. I live for the day that EOD, +/- 10* has a perceptible effect on my coffee.
Alan you can save multiple settings files. Keep them in the cloud for access on multiple machines. Label them as needed. Maybe include a date.
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#18: Post by Almico replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Thanks! I just did that. I would not be fun having to recreate my settings if some went awry.

Do we know if the saved settings work across multiple operating systems?

MaKoMo

#19: Post by MaKoMo »

Almico wrote:Do we know if the saved settings work across multiple operating systems?
Yes, we do know that. Everything works cross-platform or it will not be added.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane (original poster) »

A couple more roasts. How do they taste ? Kind of flat.