Artisan readings connection with Mastech MS6514

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Andres0881

Postby Andres0881 » Jan 09, 2019, 3:23 pm

Hello everybody,
I really wish I can get help with this connectivity problem. I have a Quest roaster and I been trying to get my Artisan working with a Mastech MS6514; however, no graphs appear after I click ON to start the roast. what I have done so far:
- Download Mastech MS6514 drivers. This part is apparently working with the right drivers because of Thermometer Shortcut under COM3 shows readings.
- Connect Mastech MS6514 to my computer through the USB
- Hold the button that says PC Link at Mastech MS6514 for a few mins.
Under Artisan- Configuration I chose Devices/ Mastech MS6514 and check all the boxes for ET BT under Curves and LCDs.
So far I do not get any readings in my Artisan. Please let me know if I am missing any step in between or if Mastech MS6514 is not good to get connected to your computer. Thanks

Almico

Postby Almico » Jan 09, 2019, 4:56 pm

I know nothing about the Mastech, but on my MacBook Air, if I plug anything into any other USB port, my Phidget readings go away. I'm sure there is a way to reconfigure, but I do not know how.

MaKoMo

Postby MaKoMo » Jan 09, 2019, 5:03 pm

Andres0881 wrote:Under Artisan- Configuration I chose Devices/ Mastech MS6514 and check all the boxes for ET BT under Curves and LCDs.
So far I do not get any readings in my Artisan.

Did you tell Artisan on which serial port it should request data from? Select COM3 from the serial port popup under menu Config >> Port, first tab.

MaKoMo

Postby MaKoMo » Jan 09, 2019, 5:05 pm

Almico wrote:I know nothing about the Mastech, but on my MacBook Air, if I plug anything into any other USB port, my Phidget readings go away. I'm sure there is a way to reconfigure, but I do not know how.

That might actually be a power problem. USB ports are limited in the power they provide and most connected devices consume some. At one point the USB hardware decides to switch of a port. This is true for some machines. Had issues with an MacBook Air too. Not with another very old MBA nor a MacBook 12" 2015 nor a current MBP. On that MBA I could re-activate those USB ports only via a reboot. There was no software trick I could find to resolve this.

Almico

Postby Almico » replying to MaKoMo » Jan 09, 2019, 5:09 pm

Mine reactivates as soon as I remove the other USP device. In this case it was a Brother printer. Sometimes my WiFi in the garage is weak so it's nice to just be able to plug in the WiFi printer direct. But I wait until after the roast.

Andres0881

Postby Andres0881 » Jan 09, 2019, 5:21 pm

MaKoMo wrote:Did you tell Artisan on which serial port it should request data from? Select COM3 from the serial port popup under menu Config >> Port, first tab.

Yes I did. Only option available is COM3

radityagpp

Postby radityagpp » Feb 11, 2019, 8:51 am

maybe after you plug usb to comp, you not press and hold "setup" on the mastech, hold till you see text "usb" on display mastech

edschlukebir

Postby edschlukebir » Feb 17, 2019, 10:04 pm

I don't remember how I figured this out, but I had a similar issue getting my macbook and the mastech to talk to each other. I just looked at my settings, and its set on com 5

hankua

Postby hankua » Feb 19, 2019, 6:27 am

Andres0881 wrote:Yes I did. Only option available is COM3

I would delete the drivers and reinstall the latest version, and download an older version of Artisan. And also try it out on another computer just to verify the issue. I recently replaced a Mastech that quit working after two years, different problem than yours but it's possible the meter is the culprit.