Artisan & OMEGA HH802U Thermometer

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
artisan123

#1: Post by artisan123 »

Hi all

Roastery assistant here working on setting up computer equipment to replace the manual method we have been using

We have bought a touch screen panel computer to use Artisan 0.9.9 and are proficient enough with using it for our purposes

However we are having problems getting our OMEGA HH802U thermometer to work with the program

We bought a USB A - Mini-USB B cable to link the thermometer to the computer. The computer recognizes the device upon the sound. We know about how you must have the channel set to zero on the thermometer and have done so. We installed the Virtual COM Port Drivers (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) for Windows 10 64-Bit upon request of the Artisan manual, using the EXE application method. It installed two components to create an area called "USB Serial Port (COM3)" which I believe is set up fine, and where my thermometer shall be coming out of.

I launch Artisan, go Config-Device, select my Device name, go to Serial Ports Configuration, and select my Comm Port to be USB Serial Port (COM3). I then press ON. My thermometer, at the time, is recording room temperatures of 21 degrees Celsius in our office. However, it soon becomes clear that the device is not responding with Artisan. I am given "Scope monitoring..." then press START to give "Scope recording..." but it becomes clear it isn't working.

The previous day prior to creating this post, it gave "Exception: ser.HH806AUtemperature() string index out of range[at]line 28300". I am also confused as to why my Artisan program is not giving me the green ON button at the bottom. Is this indicative of how the thermometer is not linked correctly? Is there something I have skipped in the process?

Side note: how do I customise Artisan so I can move my temperature readings the the x axis of the display, or stretch it out to make it bigger next to the graph?

Thank you

Advertisement
btreichel

#2: Post by btreichel »

I just learned that not all USB cables are created egual. Could be your cable. Read this. https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... round/help

artisan123 (original poster)

#3: Post by artisan123 (original poster) replying to btreichel »

Hey, am using a Belkin Pro Series USB 2.0 A to Mini-B Hi-Speed Cable that, on the packet, says it is for connecting digital cameras and not charging. Like I said, the connection sound goes off when this is plugged in to the computer and powered. Thx

luma

#4: Post by luma »

artisan123 wrote:how do I customise Artisan so I can move my temperature readings the the x axis of the display, or stretch it out to make it bigger next to the graph?
Go to "Tools" > "LCDs" to open a resize-able window that will show any data you've selected to display on the LCD panel by checking the "LCD1"/"LCD2" options under "Config" > "Device".

#5: Post by artisan123 (original poster) replying to luma »

thank you very helpful

#6: Post by artisan123 (original poster) »

Fixed by changing Farenheit to Celsius! odd, to me.