Artisan not loading on Windows 10 Surface Go - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
OldNuc

#31: Post by OldNuc » Oct 07, 2019, 6:01 am

The Surface probably requires EFI boot which Win-7 and older operating systems do not not support but most current Linux distributions do.

User avatar
curmudgeon

#32: Post by curmudgeon » Oct 07, 2019, 3:54 pm

I can't add anything to the troubleshooting aspect of this thread, but just wanted to pop in and say I managed to get linux cinammon mint running on an old dell laptop (c. 2005ish) earlier this year, and this setup is more stable than any of the four other computers I have direct contact with. Initial setup was a bit fiddly with phidget drivers, but beyond that the only trouble I had was self-inflicted when I messed with settings I didn't really need to use and couldn't read the TCs for a few days. Beyond that, the linux/artisan combo has been rock solid. If you have the time and the spare hardware, I would give that a shot.

**Fine Print**
I don't run a business like you do, so all I would lose if my laptop tanked is the pride I take in the few hundred roast profiles I've saved from the last few years.

User avatar
EvergreenBuzzBuzz

#33: Post by EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Oct 07, 2019, 6:56 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
**Fine Print**
I don't run a business like you do, so all I would lose if my laptop tanked is the pride I take in the few hundred roast profiles I've saved from the last few years.
Set your location for your files to save to the cloud, and then you can drink wine, not coffee, when it tanks.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

SJM

#34: Post by SJM » replying to EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Oct 07, 2019, 7:20 pm

I can't imagine anything that would make me feel less secure than depending on 'the cloud'.

User avatar
curmudgeon

#35: Post by curmudgeon » replying to SJM » Oct 07, 2019, 8:49 pm

Nextcloudpi FTW. Own Your Bits!

You can run your own "cloud", complete with file sync on a raspberry pi. Best use I've found for that hardware so far.

User avatar
AssafL

#36: Post by AssafL » Oct 08, 2019, 1:18 am

SJM wrote:I can't imagine anything that would make me feel less secure than depending on 'the cloud'.
You can install Two EFSS like Dropbox and OneDrive and sync both. Even if say MICROSOFT goes belly up tomorrow you have the Dropbox archive. Or vice Versa.

If you are concerned both MS and DB go belly up - add Gdrive.

If MS, google and Dropbox go belly up one day - well then - it is likely people won't have money for coffee so that should solve the problem... :)
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

max

#37: Post by max » Oct 08, 2019, 4:24 pm

AssafL wrote:If MS, google and Dropbox go belly up one day - well then - it is likely people won't have money for coffee so that should solve the problem... :)
You could still be roasting coffee as long as your local copy wasn't lost the same day :D

User avatar
EvergreenBuzzBuzz

#38: Post by EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Oct 09, 2019, 1:59 pm

SJM wrote:I can't imagine anything that would make me feel less secure than depending on 'the cloud'.

Susan for me the cloud means the Artisan profiles are on multiple devices. I don't keep anything in the cloud without at least copies on two physical devices.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

SJM

#39: Post by SJM » Oct 09, 2019, 2:02 pm

EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote: Susan for me the cloud means the Artisan profiles are on multiple devices. I don't keep anything in the cloud without at least copies on two physical devices.
A belt and suspenders kinda guy 8)