Artisan not loading on Windows 10 Surface Go - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico (original poster)

#11: Post by Almico (original poster) »

max wrote:How do you rule out Artisan and Phidgets drivers???
Because I plugged it into my MacBook Air and it works fine.

And everything worked yesterday.

Rush

#12: Post by Rush replying to Almico »

This suggests to me the surface hardware.

ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

Can you try putting a powered USB hub between the roaster and the laptop? Should do nothing, but if you have one it's free to try.

Ira

AssafL

#14: Post by AssafL »

The surface USB is a charger type USB so I doubt it is a power issue. Unless it to fried somehow.

Have you tried loading Artisan in Administrator mode?
Have you tried compatibility mode?

Also - anything in the event viewer?

One last consideration is that there was a sept win 10 update that was rather big. Could have broken something. I'd check the driver sites (like Phidget) to see if they are encountering stuff that would need a driver update.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

civ

#15: Post by civ »

Hello:
AssafL wrote: One last first consideration is ...
... a sept win 10 update ...
After years of wrestling with MS software I finally managed to move to Linux.
In my experience, from W95 onwards the most common source of problems (hands down) were the updates.
Things only got worse (W2000?) with automatic being the default installation option.

There's a 99% probability that an update has broken some library/driver or screwed up a registry setting.
MS' track record speaks for itself and the web is absolutely filled with horror stories related to updates, some which cost users significant of money and/or endless grief.

I suggest that to start, the most benign solution would be to check the logs and roll back to before the last update.
If that won't fix it, the last backup should do the trick unless there's an undetected hardware issue.

We users of Artisan are very fortunate to have the option to run it under Linux.
It's just a pity that there's no up to date 32-bit version.

Best,

CIV

Almico (original poster)

#16: Post by Almico (original poster) »

civ wrote:Hello:

After years of wrestling with MS software I finally managed to move to Linux.
In my experience, from W95 onwards the most common source of problems (hands down) were the updates.
Things only got worse (W2000?) with automatic being the default installation option.

There's a 99% probability that an update has broken some library/driver or screwed up a registry setting.
MS' track record speaks for itself and the web is absolutely filled with horror stories related to updates, some which cost users significant of money and/or endless grief.

I suggest that to start, the most benign solution would be to check the logs and roll back to before the last update.
If that won't fix it, the last backup should do the trick unless there's an undetected hardware issue.

We users of Artisan are very fortunate to have the option to run it under Linux.
It's just a pity that there's no up to date 32-bit version.
It feels like an update deal to me.

I stopped liking Windows after W3.1. I estimate that 4-5 months of my life has been flushed down the Windows blue screen toilet and waiting for windows to reboot.

I haven't had time to play with it yet. The bar is closed on Tuesdays so I'll dive in. But I wanted to use that time to install a couple of more TCs in my roaster. I want an intake temp and exhaust temp reading.
AssafL wrote:The surface USB is a charger type USB so I doubt it is a power issue. Unless it to fried somehow.

Have you tried loading Artisan in Administrator mode?
Have you tried compatibility mode?

Also - anything in the event viewer?

One last consideration is that there was a sept win 10 update that was rather big. Could have broken something. I'd check the driver sites (like Phidget) to see if they are encountering stuff that would need a driver update.
Not sure how to do that. It's been 12 years since I had to wrestle with Windows. If I could get Artisan on an iPad I would "office space" this Surface Go in a second.

AssafL

#17: Post by AssafL »

As long as you bring the stapler back to Milton.

To get it to run as administrator right click the Artisan Icon and select "run as administrator". Sometimes it is hidden under the aptly named "more" extended menu...

To see the event viewer open the windows menu and type "event viewer" and select it. Look for the apps and see if there are errors associated with Artisan.

max

#18: Post by max »

Almico wrote:Because I plugged it into my MacBook Air and it works fine.

And everything worked yesterday.
That does not exclude either.

Anyway, to get to the root of this, I think you need get some type of log messages.

Almico (original poster)

#19: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to max »

Well if you had to wager $100, would you bet on Phidget drivers and/or a freshly installed Artisan, or a renegade Windows update that screwed the pooch?

AssafL

#20: Post by AssafL »

I wouldn't wager 100$ (I'd take it you shop to buy some coffee) - but Windows is really well tested. But phidgets is far from a mainstream device (most development/measurement tools are like that - not just on windows but on Linux as well - let alone Mac).

So I'd check with phidgets.