Artisan Getting Started Guide - Collaboration Welcome - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#41: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Chert wrote:I agree, I like the Full size option. Can one reliably size the Artisan window in such a way that none of the .png file is cut off when loaded to HB? or does one have to use an image editing program to verify 800 max dimension prior to uploading to HB?
. HB should change both dimensions to keep the whole image but I haven't confirmed. The ones I have posted have seemed fine.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

drgary
Team HB

#42: Post by drgary »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Great. Curious if you tried sliders?
Yes, seems more clumsy and may take longer to register. I can still use them simultaneously but am preferring the buttons so far.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

9Sbeans

#43: Post by 9Sbeans »

I use Artisan 1.1 on my 15-inch laptop running Windows 7 Pro. The screen resolution is 1920 x 1080, and I change the windows appearance into larger (150%) text and icon size. In Artisan: Tools: Extras...: UI (User Interface) my configuration is in WindowsVista and the Resolution scaling set to 115. It is the same configuration inherited from my old Windows Vista laptop and Artisan v0.6.

In Artisan v1.2 the GUI was reworked to better support the 4K resolution monitor. When I tried to run the v1.2, my obsolete 1.1 scaling parameters caused my busy Buttons scattered around and misaligned. I didn't spend much time adjusting the text & graph settings in Artisan and simply reverted back to v1.1. I'll update my settings if I eventually switch to v1.2 (or more likely v1.3) in the future.

During a roast, I move the mouse pointing onto the button of my next target event in Artisan, wait until the queue (time, temperature, smell or sound) to reach my goal, make the adjustment on my roaster, and then left click the mouse of the computer to register this event. I then move the mouse pointing onto my next targeted button. In my experience, moving the mouse ahead of the real adjustment on the roaster reminds me to plan better. Most of the time I could use my left hand to do the adjustment on the roaster and immediately use my right hand to click the mouse. Since my sampling interval is 1-second (hence the 1 second delay on the laptop screen), the roast adjustment and the event log is virtually synchronized.

I always use full screen on my laptop; it's a 16:9 wide screen. However, on the HB site the forum is designed to be viewed on a broad variety of user interfaces (PC, Mac, Smartphone, IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), and therefore the graph is preferred in the vertical format. The horizontal pixel will be automatically rescaled to 800 (or 700?) and the vertical will be rescaled at the same proportion. In Artisan, if I display full screen graph and save the graph in the default home-barista.com format, it will result in a 700 x 324, ~69 KB png file with lower image quality. I found out if I resize the size of Artisan into a smaller, more of square-shaped window and save the graph in Full Size, it will result in a much better quality (1064 x 894, ~169 KB in my case) png file. After uploading onto the HB site, this graph will be downsized but still resulted in a better quality image.

Sometimes there are glitches with two files with extremely long file name but identical in first 8 characters, or too big of the file and the graph would be cropped. I haven't figured out the workaround yet.

#44: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

How do you get the button colors to be by type?
Artisan.Plus User-

9Sbeans

#45: Post by 9Sbeans replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Config: Events: Buttons (tab)

#46: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

9Sbeans wrote:Config: Events: Buttons (tab)

<image>
Omg can't believe I missed that one. More beer when I'm writing the guide. Lol.
Artisan.Plus User-

EddyQ

#47: Post by EddyQ »

Anyone roast on two roasters using the same laptop? I hope to save my artisan settings separately for both. One roaster uses Phidgets 1048 with 3 probes and the other Amprobe TMD-56. Lots of changes with settings between the two roasters.

Any way to do this??
LMWDP #671

#48: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Under Help - Save or Load Settings. If you are on a Mac you may be able to run Artisan from separate locations although I think managing settings is easier.
Artisan.Plus User-

EddyQ

#49: Post by EddyQ »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Under Help - Save or Load Settings.
Thanks! I must have missed that while going though all the menus.
LMWDP #671

samtsai5212

#50: Post by samtsai5212 »

EddyQ wrote:Anyone roast on two roasters using the same laptop? I hope to save my artisan settings separately for both. One roaster uses Phidgets 1048 with 3 probes and the other Amprobe TMD-56. Lots of changes with settings between the two roasters.

Any way to do this??
On the roaster with Phidget1048, you can connect it to a raspberry pi/or phidget SBC as a network server. In Artisan just go to Config>Device>Phidget>on the last panel fill up the ip address of the raspberry pi to connect to probes on phidgets.
As for the Amprobe TMD-56, you can connect it phisically to your laptop and use it as usual thermometer. Then load settings for each thermometer.