Artisan built in PID controlling roast profile - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
graemerosa

#11: Post by graemerosa » Oct 07, 2016, 6:38 am

Great post and very timely.

I was looking for help on how to actually connect the Artisan PID software to heating elements in order to follow a background roast curve in the following roasting setup:

Electric fluid bed roaster
On/off switch for electric heating elements
Knob potentiometer to control heat level
Potentiometer connects to Fotek SSR 25 Amp
Also, Noark DP contactor 40 amp 240 volt.

Regarding the point in the blog post above... "Now, Artisan has its own internal software PID and if you can link it to a device that influences your Bean Temperature (BT)"

By device to influence BT, do you mean a Fuji PID device, Delta DTA or TC4? Is there any other way at present to connect and control the heating elements?

If I used the TC4C device, is it as simple as:
* connecting a USB cable from the computer with Artisan software to a TC4C board
* attaching BT and ET type K thermocouples
* Wires from TC4C wired directly to the SSR in order to control heating
* Roaster knob potentiometer bypassed or install switch to choose between full manual control or Artisan control via the TC4

Many thanks.

fransg

#12: Post by fransg » Oct 07, 2016, 8:32 am

Jan van der Weel has detailed his TC4 / Artisan setup to do this software-PID work.

His detailed description can be found on the blog about that project.

graemerosa

#13: Post by graemerosa » Oct 07, 2016, 10:49 pm

Thanks Frans, much appreciated.

BarryR

#14: Post by BarryR » Oct 09, 2016, 3:24 pm

I have a Hottop KN-8828B-2K with TC4C and Artisan. Currently I use alarms, but nothing PID-like. I did many searches but couldn't find much on the PID with the Hottop specifically.

Is this still in its infancy?
Is the Hottop too slow to make PID effective (though I guess fan control would be fairly quick).

Any threads other or other documentation that specifically address this?

fransg

#15: Post by fransg » Oct 11, 2016, 5:37 am

I would hope that users of all varieties of roast devices step forward and fully share all details of their setup and 'modus operandi'.

Currently what I see is many users hungry for details, know-how, hints and tips but as soon as they "get it" and have their system running beautifully, most of them clam up and keep that valuable information to themselves. And then every other newcomer clamours still for "the manual".

I have shared every single detail of my roasting setup and practical roasting profile approach, for my Fracino Roastilino and for the FZ-94 of Coffee-Tech and it was not all that much work.

I don't have the Hottop, but I have seen, in passing, info online about the setup, plus there's a forum devoted to Hottop users so that may be a source.

I hope you find out what you need and then share it!

F

MaKoMo

#16: Post by MaKoMo » Oct 11, 2016, 1:49 pm

BarryR wrote:I have a Hottop KN-8828B-2K with TC4C and Artisan. Currently I use alarms, but nothing PID-like. I did many searches but couldn't find much on the PID with the Hottop specifically.

Is this still in its infancy?
Is the Hottop too slow to make PID effective (though I guess fan control would be fairly quick).

Any threads other or other documentation that specifically address this?
Check homeroaster.org. There is plenty information on this. The more recent TC4 firmwares (since about 2 years) feature the Arduino PID library. The latest version is available from GreenGardian's Github account. That TC4 PID is supported for more than two years by Artisan directly. The recent beta versions of Artisan v1.0 contain a PID implementation on the software side. That one also works together with the TC4, however, the on-board PID might have advantages due to its faster cycling.

In general the Hottop reacts rather slowly on heater changes (in both directions) and therefore is not the best candidate for PIDing. Controlling the ET might work better than the BT (selectable on the Artisan interface). With the Artisan software PID it is now also possible to drive the fan instead of the heater (or also both in parallel) that might be more effective for this machine. The PID might at least be helpful to reach and keep a stable CHARGE temperature. Automatically following a previous roast profile might not work too well with that machine, but I haven't tried.

BarryR

#17: Post by BarryR » Oct 29, 2016, 7:03 pm

Thank you both for your replies.
I have checked homeroasters.org but haven't been able to find the info that would allow me to pull this together.
Perhaps, given the slow response time of the Hottop, I should just stick with alarms.