Artisan and FC estimate - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
User avatar
Almico
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Almico » Jun 03, 2019, 4:03 pm

mkane wrote:Almico, looking at your gas settings you show %. Percent of what? 42% @ 30 sec for example.
42% of 100%. !00% being gas all the way up, in my case 15"WC.

User avatar
Almico
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by Almico » Jun 03, 2019, 4:05 pm

stlmechben wrote:This is literally the only spot I could find that might make a difference.
How close do the blades come to the faceplate?

Try removing this bolt. If the hole goes all the way through the faceplate, stick a piece of soft wire through and see how far you can go before hitting the blades. If you can get a probe to penetrate 2cm, then that would be the best spot for now without drilling and tapping new holes.

Image

stlmechben

#23: Post by stlmechben » Jun 03, 2019, 5:31 pm

I will investigate that bolt hole. I thought about the door but the probe sticks 1.5" inside and I was worried that on the down swing would catch a blade. I will have another look for sure.

Image


From the middle of the 1" tall angled blade to the drum wall comes to about .4".

Image

User avatar
Almico
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Almico » Jun 03, 2019, 6:12 pm

That probe is a big part of the problem. It is very sluggish. Try this one with an appropriate 3mm compression fitting: https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid= ... prodid=729

stlmechben

#25: Post by stlmechben » Jun 03, 2019, 6:54 pm

I got 2 on order.

mkane

#26: Post by mkane » Jun 03, 2019, 11:09 pm

Almico wrote:42% of 100%. !00% being gas all the way up, in my case 15"WC.



Thanks much.

stlmechben

#27: Post by stlmechben » Jun 12, 2019, 12:14 pm

I got the probes wired in. After setting the K type probe in the Fuji PXR-4 controller and adjusting the probe high/low temp settings they look to be reading the correct temperature.

However when I fire up the roaster, the temp displayed does not climb.

Any suggestions?

stlmechben

#28: Post by stlmechben » Jun 15, 2019, 12:31 pm

Ok. Got the probes figured out. The original probes were of type Resistance. The new ones are obviously thermocouples. I had to do some controller rewiring.

Lets just say that you are absolutely correct on both fronts. The probes are in the wrong locations and the new thermos are far superior.


The initial setup was with the new probe in the original location. I put a kitchen frying thermometer in the suggested bolt hole. Just look at the different temp readings. The initial roast was so off I ditched the Artisan graph of it and beans went to trash.
Image

Image

Image


Here is the probe in the new location. The temp readings much more accurate. Artisan graph shows temp readings at various roast levels. The FC estimate was just about spot on!

Feel free to comment on the roast itself. I kept the airflow about the same the entire roast (about 30%), just enough to get smoke out. I dropped in with gas at it's lowest possible setting and let the roast go for about 1 min. Then I turned gas up to roasting pressure (1 WC) and left it there until just about FC. Then I turned the gas down just a little and let it roll all the way through until 2nd crack.

I will have to work on the airflow probe next. Your recommended spot for that is probably also good. :D

Image

Image

Image