Artisan 2.0 - ROR Graph doesn't make sense

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
babalu120483

#1: Post by babalu120483 »

Hey Guys,

So I decided to add a TC to my Behmor and connect it to Artisan. Getting my phidget setup working was fairly easy.

Yesterday I roasted 3 times. The first 2 were with the TC on the BT port and the last one on the ET port. Below is the last graph with ET.

As you can see my ROR graph is all over the place. Is there something I am missing on my "Graph" settings?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks!

ironbrad

#2: Post by ironbrad »

I recommend posting your sampling and filter settings.

See this link as well: https://artisan-scope.org/docs/curves/

babalu120483 (original poster)

#3: Post by babalu120483 (original poster) replying to ironbrad »

Thanks Brad! Here are my sampling/filter settings:

I also took a look at that link before posting but I don't see anything apparent with my configuration based on that.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

A few thoughts. What happens if you change the settings post roast like drop spikes and limits by checking the boxes.

.5 is a really fast sampling rate. Maybe your equipment can't handle it. Artisan posts a warning for anything under 3.

Possibly on the Behmor the air is that unstable. I don't really know.

Maybe others can chip in.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ironbrad

#5: Post by ironbrad »

Sorry, been gone today. Here are some quick thoughts.

It is popular lately to look at fast/short sampling times, minimal filtering and faster probes. For 120V heated machines like your Behmor (I have one) and my main roaster, Hottop, we have limited heat available and it doesn't react very fast at all: we have long/slow thermal time constants. I've found that slower sampling and some good filtering during the roast produces great results IMO. Even if you cover up some temperature artifacts, you probably couldn't react effectively to them on your equipment anyway IME. I roast 1lb (2 roasts of 226g) every two or three days for drip and espresso...all sorts of single origins and espresso blends, all with very good results.

These are off a present version 2.0.0 but older backup copy of Artisan, but should get you started. You can reduce filtering and try faster sampling after you get going and compare results for yourself.

Sampling: 5 sec
Oversampling: off
Check both boxes on Input Filters
Curve filter 8, check Smooth Spikes
Rate of Rise Filter: 8 sec, smoothing 8
Limits: -23F/min min, 54F/min max

I know these work and also that they can be successfully tweaked without getting results like you're seeing.

Best of luck.

#6: Post by babalu120483 (original poster) replying to ironbrad »

THANK YOU for the great explanation and your recommendations.
I will give them a try and report back.

#7: Post by babalu120483 (original poster) »

I juts wanted to post back after roasting a couple of batches with the new setting. As you can tell, ROR Curve now seems normal (although not the best). Thanks again IronBrad!

Next thing is to modify the behmor further and truly get a BT.

ironbrad

#8: Post by ironbrad »

Glad to help. Clearly your upper limit for the Delta ET needs to be higher than my suggested 54F :D That was OK for my Hottop Delta Bean temp...

Getting a bean temp in a Behmor should be interesting, to say the least. Good luck and enjoy the experimenting.

Brad

#9: Post by babalu120483 (original poster) »

I just wanted to update everyone. I was able to get a TC as close as possible into the beans mass and got some good readings (see below)

The ROR curve still seems a bit off though. When I compare it to others out there, my readings start high up there instead of starting from bottom and then going down (does that make sense). Any idea what could be causing this? Also, I am not sure what happened to artisan the second time I roasted after installing the BT TC but you can see the events on the top did not make sense.

Thanks!

ironbrad

#10: Post by ironbrad »

I don't recall my days operating my Behmor in much detail. I will say that I doubt you got your bean probe *in* the bean pile due to the design of the basket. If that is the case (i.e., your probe is not actually covered by the beans), that would explain the lack of starting "from the bottom" like many graphs on the forum depict. Most of us have bean probes that get covered by the beans. Upon charge, our room-temperature beans cover a pre-heated bean probe and temporarily drop the probe temperature. This produces the classic turn-point in the bean temp and the delta-temp (bean temp derivative) that begins off the bottom of the scale.

I think you have shown remarkable progress and are on the way to better understanding your roast process in the Behmor. Keep experimenting!

Brad