Artisan 2.0.0 on 2017 MacBook with Arduino/TC4 can't find thermocouples

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jevenator

#1: Post by jevenator »

Hi all, I just received a Quest M3 with thermocouples installed already. I have three at the moment. ET, MET, and another probe that is the exhaust temp coming off the beans. I plan on adding a dedicated BT as well.

I am running this sketch and following these instructions which are found within the same folder as the sketch.

Serial Exception:Unable to open serial port is the error I'm getting within Artisan but I can't even select the proper Comm Port. All I have is Generic CDC. Arduino software is recognizing it because I need that port to load the sketches on the Arduino in the first place. Arduino recognizes it as: /dev/cu.usbmodem14301 I'm running the newest version of Mojave for my OS. If I manually type in that in Artisan I still won't get anything.

Also, within the Serial Monitor using the code (chan,1234) won't cause anything to show either.

The "but" of all of this is the fact that to my LCD screen connected to the TC4, within the sketch it is programmed to display time, RoR, and the first two channels ET, and BT. These numbers are showing up and are responding to temperature changes.

I have a USB-C dongle that breaks off to three USB 3.0's. I also tried it with a singular USB-C to USB3.0 dongle on different ports. Arduino will find it but Artisan won't.

Does anyone know how to program on the LCD to show the third probe as well and make it "MET" for example. I found the code on the sketch and tried adding another

else command: lcd.setCursor( 13, 2 );
lcd.print( F("MET:") );

but it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance for whoever knows these things.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

This may be a better question posted in the Artisan Community Forum. See how to sign up in the Quick Start Guide in my signature. Also there may be something on the Documents page there that could help or on the Artisan Blog. Please post a solution when you find it.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jevenator (original poster)

#3: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

I subscribed and sent an email yesterday. Still no reply. No progress on Macbook. Decided to try it out on my wife's windows 10 laptop. Redid everything and it worked! Artisan could located COM port that it was located too. Here's the catch which is weird. So, I don't have any of the PID stuff set up but it's stock in the sketch. I just didn't touch any of the code. If you select "PID firmware" in the device menu in Artisan it will not read the thermocouples. It has to be selected to work.

I'm happy that it's working but I'm not happy I have to go back to Windows. I used to be a diehard windows fanboy until I bought the new Macbook Pro and used it for two weeks.

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

I am running Artisan v2 with a TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID installed on my MacBooks without issues. Note that the Artisan software is identical on all platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux) and there is no known issue on the Artisan side regarding the implementation of the TC4 protocol.

Only difference I see is between your and my setup is that I do not have an LCD connected and I am aware that there are some firmware switches to get this LCD running. Could those might break the Artisan communication!?

Sorry for a further redirect, but the TC4 hardware and firmware development is discussed mainly on the homeroaster.org forum.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Peppersass »

MaKoMo wrote:I am running Artisan v2 with a TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID installed on my MacBooks without issues.
Same here.

It sounds like Artisan isn't seeing the port. Could the port be open in another process, like the Arduino IDE or browser running Arduino Create? I don't know how the Mac handles a query for the list of available ports. Most systems list all ports, including those that are open, and give you an error when you to open one that's in use. Maybe the Mac is smart enough not to show ports that are in use?

#6: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

MaKoMo wrote:I am running Artisan v2 with a TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID installed on my MacBooks without issues. Note that the Artisan software is identical on all platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux) and there is no known issue on the Artisan side regarding the implementation of the TC4 protocol.

Only difference I see is between your and my setup is that I do not have an LCD connected and I am aware that there are some firmware switches to get this LCD running. Could those might break the Artisan communication!?

Sorry for a further redirect, but the TC4 hardware and firmware development is discussed mainly on the homeroaster.org forum.
I don't think it's the LCD because it's a separate coding block just to transmit data from the thermocouples to the LCD Display. It's working on Windows.
Peppersass wrote:Same here.

It sounds like Artisan isn't seeing the port. Could the port be open in another process, like the Arduino IDE or browser running Arduino Create? I don't know how the Mac handles a query for the list of available ports. Most systems list all ports, including those that are open, and give you an error when you to open one that's in use. Maybe the Mac is smart enough not to show ports that are in use?
I tried it after a restart and only opened up Artisan. When I plug in the device with the Port window open it will find the port looks like but then when I click "on" it will give me the Serial Exception error. Yesterday though, I somehow got this error too "could not convert string to float @line 42721"

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass »

I just checked Artisan on my Mac and the port comes up as "Arduino Uno". I think I've seen something like /dev/cu.usbmodem14301 in the past and it wasn't the Arduino port.

Yoiu mentioned that you're using a single-port USB-C to USB-A "dongle". Is that just an adapter or does it have active components like a hub?

I'm using a standard micro USB cable to the Arduino. The USB-A end plugs into a plain-old USB-C to USB-A adapter, which plugs into the MacBook Pro. If your dongle has any active components are is functioning like a hub, that could be confusing the Mac into thinking that it's some sort of usb modem, not just a usb comm port.

FWIW, I'm using the version of aArtisanQ_PID that was already loaded in my Arduino when I bought my roaster used. I'm not sure which version it is. It works well and I've been reluctant to update the software for fear I'll mess something up (uncharacteristic for me, as I've written several Arduino programs and know how to troubleshoot it.) The fellow who sold the roaster to me gave me a thumb drive with the software he had, which included versions 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.2.2 and 6.3. It's probably running one of the last two. My Arduino doesn't have an LCD, but I may be able to determine the version by enabling Serial Port monitoring in the IDE. What version is your Arduino running?

gullygossner

#8: Post by gullygossner »

On the mac version of Artisan I had to Identify the comm port manually and enter it. I believe it has something to do with knockoff Arduino hardware.

Open a terminal window while your TC4 setup is plugged into your computer and type
ls /dev/tty.usb*
You should get a return along the lines of
dev/tty.usbmodem12345
This is the comm port to manually enter into Artisan. Keep in mind this manual entry will only work for the specific USB port that you did the terminal search for, if you change USB ports you must repeat the process.

My guess is if you manually entered /dev/tty.usbmodem14301 with the tc4 plugged into the same port you used for the Arduino ide, it should work but I would still search it in terminal to see that it is recognized.

#9: Post by jevenator (original poster) replying to gullygossner »

It worked! Thank you so much for this! Manually inputting the comm port because Artisan could not find it.