Arc 800g Sample Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
simplycoffie

Postby simplycoffie » Feb 24, 2019, 8:17 pm

Hello fellow members,

Been roasting with the arc for 2 weeks now (received it 2 weeks ago) and i am producing some amazing coffee!

I have lots of experience roasting with Fujiroyal 5kg, Kapok 5kg, Kapok 1kg roasters, with that said, one thing i noticed was their temperature probe gives an accurate and instant reading, versus the arc roaster's temperature probe, it gives unsteady reading and shows slow response, (ie, going back and forth on the temperature reading, or it would skip several degrees when temperature is rising) which causes me to have to guess how long it takes for the LCD screen to update new temp reading or how many degrees is going to show up on the next reading.

From what i can tell from the Arc website, it shows they are using K-type probe, but does not specify what diameter.

What can i do to improve the accuracy of temp reading and responsiveness?

I am all ears to hear suggestions on this problem i am facing.

TIA!

-Eric

hankua

Postby hankua » Feb 24, 2019, 9:22 pm

Hi there, and the Arc looks to be a sweet machine. If I'm not mistaken it's produced by HB in China. http://hb-roaster.com

It sounds like maybe more of a software or setup problem than the probes, but just a wild guess. I had a problem with a delayed data response from my Amprobe meter, and it ended up being the ghost MET setup in the Artisan program. It looks like the Arc uses a USB data bridge, that's where I'd start troubleshooting the setup parameters. Otherwise a call into Arc in NY or HB in China.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Feb 24, 2019, 10:52 pm

simplycoffie wrote:From what i can tell from the Arc website, it shows they are using K-type probe, but does not specify what diameter.

What can i do to improve the accuracy of temp reading and responsiveness?

Smaller probe diameter will be quicker responding. But quicker is not more accurate. Probe placement is usually the key to getting temperature readings you can roast better with.

Do you know the diameter of the probes you have? Which probe is giving you the trouble and where it is placed? Length of probe into the roaster?

hankua

Postby hankua » Feb 25, 2019, 2:08 am

At first I thought you were referring to a datalogging program, but it's the display on the pid that's not responding? My machine with a pid came setup from the factory correctly and reads in 0.1*C smoothly. If that's the case it may be just a matter of finding the pid instructions and resetting the parameters.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Feb 25, 2019, 8:46 am

EddyQ wrote:Smaller probe diameter will be quicker responding. But quicker is not more accurate. Probe placement is usually the key to getting temperature readings you can roast better with.

Do you know the diameter of the probes you have? Which probe is giving you the trouble and where it is placed? Length of probe into the roaster?

Also smaller has more noise. The Artisan team is doing some testing now. Reducing noise from the machine is far better than from within the software. I personally believe that each roaster learns their machine and adapts to the way the probes read and react.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Feb 25, 2019, 9:30 am

I'd be surprised if the Arc 800g has a thin probe. I picked up a 500g Santoker several months back and even it's BT probe is quite thick. Seems to be a common theme with some of these smaller Chinese roasters.

katatak

Postby katatak » Mar 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

@ OP, did you resolve your issue? What is your take on the Arc 800g?

Anyone else have experience on one? Thank you for your input, pros, cons, etc.

simplycoffie

Postby simplycoffie » Mar 16, 2019, 9:48 pm

EddyQ wrote:Smaller probe diameter will be quicker responding. But quicker is not more accurate. Probe placement is usually the key to getting temperature readings you can roast better with.

sorry for replying so late, been really busy.

so the probe is 5mm in diameter, and the length is about 10cm. It's interesting to know that smaller probe reads quicker but not "more accurate". hmm.

the probe is inserted into the drum from the faceplate at a wedge angle, where the tip of the probe points at the bottom left portion of the drum (when looking at the faceplate), also it seems the whole probe is inserted into the drum.

simplycoffie

Postby simplycoffie » Mar 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

hankua wrote:At first I thought you were referring to a datalogging program, but it's the display on the pid that's not responding? My machine with a pid came setup from the factory correctly and reads in 0.1*C smoothly. If that's the case it may be just a matter of finding the pid instructions and resetting the parameters.

yes, the display on the pid. im not sure if its the problem with the pid solely or its intertwined with the probe too, i will check with the them to see if im able to calibrate the pid like you did, thanks for the advice!

simplycoffie

Postby simplycoffie » Mar 16, 2019, 9:51 pm

EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote:Also smaller has more noise. The Artisan team is doing some testing now. Reducing noise from the machine is far better than from within the software. I personally believe that each roaster learns their machine and adapts to the way the probes read and react.

I totally understand your point of adapting to the roaster, that is what i am doing currently, it'd just be really nice if it reads smoothly hahaha, first world problems ya? :lol: