Any experience with Genuine Origin green coffee

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
KingDL1

#1: Post by KingDL1 »

I am roasting 25-30 lbs a month of green coffee and I think its increasing. I been sourcing my coffee primarily from Sweet Maria's. I was thinking about Genuine Origin the size seems right. But I can't figure out screen size or actual coffee rating it seems like, maybe I am looking in the wrong spots.

I was just looking for some input to see if they are a good source of premium coffee, and what your thoughts are.

Thank you.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Do a little digging into the parent company Volcafe, and you'll get a better idea how they operate. I would speculate they are more vertically integrated than other's and appear to be both exporters and importers. Genuine has some incoming Guatemala coffee on the water, I'd grab a box and see what you think. Or get a box of the past crop bargain beans and use them as a blender.

RobertL

#3: Post by RobertL »

I've bought coffee from Genuine Origin. They make the purchasing process very easy, you can order samples and purchase boxes of coffee all from their website. The 65lb boxes are convenient and easy to handle. They have some good coffee but in my experience I had to go through more samples to find the good ones. If I were buying 25-30lbs a month I would look at Royal's Crown Jewels, Cafe Imports La Bodega or the Coffee Shrub.

PBJ

#4: Post by PBJ »

I buy a lot from GO. I have had 2 really good Uganda's that customers loved. I've also had solid Brazil, Guatemala, Tanzania Peaberry, and Kenya, Costa Rica. I haven't been impressed by any of their Ethiopian beans. When you look on their page make sure you select the current crop option. When you click on a coffee, the cupping score is under the price. Samples are free but only 300Gr.
I also buy from La Bodega, Royal Crown Jewels (not often) and The Coffee Shrub
Curly

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I like GO as well. I like the 65lb boxes. Only $10 shipping. We decided to try a prior crop with them as well. The Costa Rican Arromas Del Valle and we like it alot. The Guatemalan Candelaria 2018 was a favorite and the 2019 should land soon. Again you can get 300 gram samples. The price is better than others and as was pointed out they have resources behind them.

I believe that much depends on many other factors as well. How you roast and brew for example.

We get good results with their coffees and my customers like them as well.

Michael
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

It sounds like doing sample tests would be key. I don't see anyone saying they purchased 65 lbs they did not like.

FWIW, I've bought 4 boxes from Shrub and been pleased each time just based on descriptions. Usually, on their site, it seems the SM lots are rated a bit higher, but not by much.
LMWDP #198

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

I much prefer Shrub over GO for high quality. However, I have a few customers that want lower grade specialty options (their whole business model is to push flavors flavors flavors) and GO is my ace in the hole for those customers. Win win.

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Roasty »

I've know a sales representative that used to work for them. He described their coffee as barely specialty grade. From what I've had, I'd agree. Good for blending or pleasing a crowd.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to Roasty »

They provide a PSS Cup Score. Depends on what you are using it for and what you want to pay. Shrubs coffee at 50 pounds also often costs twice as much to ship. GO is a flat $10 for 65 lbs. Personal decisions for everyone.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

Most prices are very low. I cannot buy full bags of 86-87 point coffee for near those prices. Makes you wonder.