Air Roaster vs Gas Drum Roaster Insight - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
crunchybean

#21: Post by crunchybean »

Rush wrote: I think you might be trying to help, but are you doing so genuinely or just trying to mock me somehow?
Like a good cup of coffee my comments are layered and multidimensional. You pay too much tribute to your name, unless your machine is broken, I suggest to slow down and figure where you are going wrong in your roasting. Every machine has its pros and cons, just by changing machines you'll just be exchanging one problem for another. Though that is me guessing since the only problem you've said you have with this roaster is that you cannot mitigate crash and flick and you roast outside? What about that does not apply to a gas roaster, I do not know.
Rao also suggested that I cannot pull the most from the coffee from my machine, somewhat true, it would be a lot easier if I had real time control but unless I'm exploring, I hit so close to the mark, a trial profile is of no consequence.

In summary, and with (hopefully) no offense. By reading what you have written, you pass over so much colloqial knowledge that it makes me wonder a lot. For example you wrote "it takes an hour for your roaster to come down within 10C of room temp" what does that have to do with anything? It takes my tiny air roaster to do that too.... Although some information and understanding is outside of some people's "pay grade" the general understanding of roasting is still quite complicated and there is a fair amount of base info and should be well understood before roasting like the cup winners. Which I am assuming most of us here can roast a decent 86pt coffee and make the average person's jaw drop. (Or pucker...hehehe)

What Almico may be helpful but it wasn't the first time he has said this stuff, there is so much in the backlogs and has already been said I am hesitant to add more change to your cup.

Rush (original poster)

#22: Post by Rush (original poster) »

@Almico

Your wild swings in deltaET weren't likely due to switching of the heating elements. I do not have any good ideas about why ET swings so much with your air roaster and my electric drum. My deltaET is so wild I don't even plot it, it just looks like vertical lines of noise. But this is a good point about the difference between roaster designs, the ET is much more consistent in a gas drum roaster than the air roasters, and at least my electric drum roaster.