Aillio Bullet User Experience

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by yakster »

I picked up an Aillio Bullet R1 V1.5 from Sweet Maria's latest batch with the Infrared Bean Temp System (IBTS) as an upgrade from my Behmor. The temperature readings with the IBTS appear to be pretty different than the conventional probes, reading faster and higher without the turning point, but since I'm starting out with this I don't have to do too much re-learning. I thought I would share some of my experiences here.

So far, I've done seven roasts and I didn't think that I would need to use a Variac to boost the voltage for this roaster based on prior reading about the Aillio control board, but I couldn't hit my milestones in a reasonable amount of time so I've hooked up my old Variac and Kill-A-Watt which has made the difference.

The roaster comes with a handy USB LED light to give you light for the beans. I'm finding that the color of the beans looks greener with just the LED light so I've got my fluorescent magnifying desk lamp pointed at the roaster and also pull the trier and hold it under the incandescent bulb on my range hood to better judge the bean color.

I also wanted to improve the venting for the smoke with the Bullet. I already have a range hood hung over my roasting bench with 4" metal vent pipe venting over the garage door, but there's a lot more smoke with the Bullet compared to the Behmor. I've seen the 3D printed adapters that people use to hook up the exhaust to a vent pipe, but I've also heard that they can melt, so I decided to just hook up a 4" vent pipe and place it over the exhaust. This will also prevent directly sucking air out of the roaster with the range hood fan. I found some parts at Home Depot to be able to connect the vent pipe to the range hood using the included mount for the removed metal filter that came with the range hood. I was able to fashion it quickly with just a few parts, but if I knock it it can come out so it's not the perfect solution, but it works great for sucking up the smoke. Another reason I wanted to do this is to be able to move the Bullet somewhere where I can see the beans and the display where it is not directly under the range hood. I also used some high temperature chimney flue tape in my build, but found it was unnecessary.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cafemolino

#2: Post by cafemolino »

Congrats nice set up, enjoy it best home coffee roaster ever. at least for us.

I just ordered upgrade kit for my older R1.

dale_cooper
Supporter

#3: Post by dale_cooper »

Curious what your batch size is and what "marks" you were trying to hit but couldn't?

yakster
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by yakster »

I've been roasting the beans that Sweet Maria's included with the roaster, so basically 1# batches (472, 468, 468, 481 grams).

It took me 21 minutes to hit first crack with the Ethiopia Guji Uraga Tabe (468 Grams) which was the first roast of the day on Saturday with a 230 C pre-heat, then I roasted back-to-back 468 grams of the Costa Rica Dota El Conquistador which hit first crack at 13 minutes.

After this, I took a break and did laundry. When I came back, I set up my Variac and pre-heated for an hour at 240 C and kept the voltage up during the roast, I was able to hit first crack by 8:58 on 481 grams of the Kenya Gatanga Ibutiti Estate and ended the roast by 11:24.

Things I changed were a longer pre-heat, a higher pre-heat temp, and adding the Variac, and of course the beans were all different.

*added links to the roast profiles in the https://roast.world site for each roast.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dale_cooper
Supporter

#5: Post by dale_cooper » replying to yakster »

Super weird - did you look at my profiles? Preheating drum temp to 185-195 with a 500g batch, I can hit first crack at 7 minutes on my first roast of the day. And I can likely hit it quicker than that if I tried. Something is up. You preheating to 230c for 500g is super hot.

yakster
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by yakster »

The 230 C is the recommendation for seasoning for the new IBTS bean temp system, the temperatures with the new sensor display much higher and update much quicker than the bean temp probe. See following post for a table comparing the pre-heat recommendations for the V1.0 and V1.5/V2.0 roasters without and with the IBTS bean temp sensor.

I suppose I could look at your roasts and just compare the Bean Temp probe (old probe) and ROR from my roasts to get a good comparison and ignore the Drum Temp IBTS temperatures, I'll take a look... I looked at your Ethiopia Uraga and compared it to my Kenya Gatanga Ibutiti Estate. You're pre-heating at 190 C for probably 700 grams and I pre-heated that batch at 240 C for the IBTS which may be equivalent to 170 C for a 481 gram roast. Your probe temps are much higher than mine for the starting point, turning point, full yellow, and first crack. I may try increasing my pre-heat temps next time.

As for first crack, sounds like you've got a solid voltage source with little voltage drop so you shouldn't have to worry about using a Variac, which is good news. I saw a Facebook post from someone else about using a Variac with their 120 V Bullet which is why I decided to give it a try.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rhtrevino

#7: Post by rhtrevino »

I also just picked up a R1 after roasting on a Behmor for a year or so. Ventilation is now my primary concern and I'm thinking about just venting straight up through the attic/roof. It's only going to be a run of 7-8ft of duct but I'm wondering what you all think about active vs. passive venting. After going through 5# of past crop from a local roaster in my seasoning roasts, I know the fan is more powerful than my Behmor but there's a much higher potential for smoke even if I rarely develop much past first crack.

yakster
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by yakster »

I think a passive system would work well for a vertical run of that length.

My vent has a long horizontal run to the garage door and is already hooked up to the range hood fan so I just leveraged that when I connected a vent pipe from my Bullet to my range hood.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by yakster »

Here's what I've been able to glean for pre-heat temperatures from the manual for v1.0 and v1.5/v2.0 roasters. It's not a linear mapping from the bean probe sensor to the IBTS sensor.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rhtrevino

#10: Post by rhtrevino »

yakster wrote:I think a passive system would work well for a vertical run of that length.

My vent has a long horizontal run to the garage door and is already hooked up to the range hood fan so I just leveraged that when I connected a vent pipe from my Bullet to my range hood.
What's been your experience with smoke seeping out of areas other than the primary exhaust? Do you think that simply focusing on that area will be sufficient for overall smoke removal?