Aillio Bullet User Experience - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I haven't noticed any significant leakage and don't even notice much smoke when I dump the beans in the cooling tray.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dale_cooper

#12: Post by dale_cooper »

Hey Chris - that Uraga batch would've been around 500g as most of my roasts are. The preheat temp on the bullet is one of the biggest drivers of energy you have during the roast. Definitely try preheating higher.

Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster (original poster) »

For some reason I thought you were charging at 700 grams, I'm definitely increasing my pre-heat temperatures now based on this information. Thanks Dale.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Roasted three coffees today around 1# charge weights with a 250 C pre-heat and the roasts went much better today.

Honduras Buenos Aires Lote Mendez 471 g
Rwanda Karongi Nyarubuye Station 474 g
Sumatra Wet Process Gunung Tujuh 454 g

Things I learned:
  • When I unplugged my USB headset in the middle of the roast, RoasTime lost communication with the roaster until I replugged the roaster USB. It picked right up and didn't look like there was any missing data.
  • A 30 minute pre-heat seems to be sufficient, no need to wait a full hour, at least where I live.
  • When the roaster was ready to charge and I lifted the door and pulled the trier for cleaning, the roaster thought I had added beans and started roasting, so the beans got added 25 seconds later, need to clean before the roaster is ready to charge
  • 3M High Temp Flue Tape works well to keep the beans from missing the cooling tray, shouldn't have to worry about anything melting
  • I was able to hear first crack fine on all my roasts today and no issues with smoke with my vent system, no need to vent the cooling tray from my experience at least at these batch sizes
  • I don't think the included LED light shows the beans true colors so I use my fluorescent bench magnifying light which I can swivel in front of the roaster

p.s., loving this roaster.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

kbell

#15: Post by kbell »

Nice, simple touch with the tape. I just prop the door handle up with the trier and put my hands on both sides of the opening while the beans dump. My cooling tray fan died, so I just took it out and connected a shopvac to it. Turn it on just before I open the door. Cools in about 30 seconds!

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Got my thrift store stir motor hooked up. Works good, I'll have to put deflectors on two of the arms to keep beans from bouncing out.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jgaepi

#17: Post by jgaepi »

yakster wrote:Got my thrift store stir motor hooked up. Works good, I'll have to put deflectors on two of the arms to keep beans from bouncing out.

<image>
Yakster, I found this post in searching for the Bullet V1.5. Sweet Maria's has a 1.5 available now or I can wait about 8 weeks for the new V2 with induction PBS. And possible other tweaks with being the new version. Owning the 1.5, is it worth pulling the trigger now or waiting (maybe more than 8 weeks). Thanks.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I had a bonus check burning a hole in my pocket so I jumped at the beginning of the year, depending on your situation it may be worth waiting for the 2.0 release, which is primarily enhancements in the power supply from what I understand. I'm using my v1.5 on 120 V 60 Hz with a Variac to boost the voltage to 125 V to ensure I have enough voltage to reach my milestones. I get the impression that the 2.0 release will be enough of an improvement that I may not have needed to use the Variac (which I was using with my Behmor). I've been roasting 500 g batches, haven't tried 1 kg yet, but I hear the V2.0 will help for larger batches.

If you're comfortable doing assembly, you can buy now and upgrade to 2.0 once available, or if you're planning on running 220 V you could order one now from Aillio, otherwise it may be worth the wait. You can find more information on the Aillio forum at https://community.roast.world/ or the closed Facebook Aillio Bullet User Group.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

roger_s

#19: Post by roger_s »

I've made a couple of tweaks to mine. First I 3D printed some mounts that fit the bean cooler. The mounts have aluminum sheets that prevent the beans from escaping when they're dumped into the cooling pan. I didn't like how the beans can push the door open so I gave the weighted handle more leverage by replacing the screw that attaches it to the door with a threaded rod. A brass tube is over the rod to make it a bit neater. It has the added benefit of moving the handle away from the trier.