Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Coffee packaging poll - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.

Loose coffee per pound at a slightly higher price or smaller pre-packaged amounts?

Poll ended at May 20th, 2020, 12:32 am

1 pound vac sealed bag at origin ( guessing 3 bags would fit in a large flat rate envelope)
24%
2 pound vac sealed bag at origin ( taking a chance that 2x2 bags might not fit well in a large flat rate envelope)
52%
loose- per pound bags, vac sealed by me, likely being able to fit more in each envelope, but I'll add $5 per order to offset materials and processing time.
4%
other- please specify in replies.
20%

Total votes: 25

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC (original poster) »

chuckcoffee wrote:Tom, I would be interested in 2-4 lbs. In Canada, so shipping is a bit costly :D But I like good coffee

If you haven't yet, send this via PM. I'm not going to search thru discussion threads for purchase inquiries.

Thanks

I went ahead and edited my first post for clarity.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava »

(I said "Other.")

Any way that is:
1. Easiest for you and,
2. Gets the widest amount of beans circulated.

I am in. PM submitted. Dave
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava »

edpiep wrote:If you have a printer couldn't you just buy boxes and use USPS cubic shipping since you could print your own labels? ...
You essentially are describing USPS flat rate boxes with which Tom is familiar. The envelope arrangement he is suggesting extends more coffee, to more people, at a lower cost.
-----
LMWDP #339

edpiep

#14: Post by edpiep replying to Boldjava »

I think we are talking about two different things here. To be clear though, cubic shipping is not USPS flat rate boxes as I understand it. I missed the premise of the post anyways so it doesn't matter.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC (original poster) »

We're almost finalized with the order. After seeing the poll results here, and the continued increase in demand, I went ahead and went with 2 bags for a total of 150. I'm keeping at least 10, so there'll be about 140 pounds to distribute.

Tim will probably get back to me tomorrow with the final quote. Best projection of arrival now is end of June early July. Since more than 2 bags is already 'spoken' for, Aida just offered to send one additional bag to her family in Miami who will handle all the re-bagging, billing, shipping etc for anyone who misses out on this first offering.

I'll write a post that has the interested folks and quantities in the next few days.

Boldjava

#16: Post by Boldjava »

edpiep wrote:I think we are talking about two different things here. To be clear though, cubic shipping is not USPS flat rate boxes as I understand it. I missed the premise of the post anyways so it doesn't matter.
USPS Cubic shipping prices require a shipper to log in with 50,000 boxes per year. Flat rates do not.
-----
LMWDP #339

edpiep

#17: Post by edpiep »

That's so many :shock: Not all the shipping services stipulate that either so this is good to know. Thanks for the info!

Almico

#18: Post by Almico »

Wow...just wow!! I'm glad I can still be blown away by a coffee. I received a sample from Aida and roasted 2 116g batches. The first, I thought, was too fast and would be underdeveloped...it is not! I made an Americano straight off the roast and was underwhelmed. It was good, but I have a new inexpensive Brazil I've been playing with that is "just as good", or so I thought at the time. I was almost regretting ordering 225# of this.

Fast forward a few days and I'm sitting here halfway through a pourover that is just blowing me away. Big body, big peach notes, wonderfully satisfying and lingering acidity, but there is so much more than that going on in this cup. I haven't sorted it all yet, nor do I want to just now. I'm just enjoying the experience. I will have plenty of time to play once it hits the warehouse.

This is the first roast (on my Cormorant). The thermometrics are still not great with 110g batches. 1C came at 347*F when it should have been 370*. So add 23* to the final temp. It's possible DE was actually sooner as well; I was not checking. Instead of following RoR religiously with sample size batches on this roaster, I guide the roast more with charge temp, ramp gas, DE gas, pre-1C gas and then final development gas, with the understanding that I'm not getting great data. I use low air and try not to change it. I'm happy if I don't get any big RoR swings. Not sure what those anomalies are in the beginning.

This was a very fast roast with a very low final temp and it is spectacular. I can't wait until pick up this coffee and get it dialed in...

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC (original poster) »

FYI, just an update, this coffee ships in less than 2 weeks, on schedule for mid-late June arrival. I'm really excited to share this coffee with enthusiasts. I have more interest than I have coffee, but there'll be more opportunities in the future for folks who've missed out on this initial offering. More details to come once they're locked in.

Nik

#20: Post by Nik »

Not sure what to expect Tom. I posted twice for the beans but never received a response. Perhaps I posted incorrectly.

Bob