African Greens Suggestions for Espresso - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Here's my first shot at the Hama O Rama following my general protocol for the first time with a bean. A bit of crash at FC but overall ok. I'll be tempted to taste it early in the week and not wait our normal 7ish days.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

downy_ball (original poster)

#12: Post by downy_ball (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Here's my first shot at the Hama O Rama following my general protocol for the first time with a bean. A bit of crash at FC but overall ok. I'll be tempted to taste it early in the week and not wait our normal 7ish days.
I didn't get to roast today as it was raining pretty good most of the day. Hopefully my SR540 will at least get me in the same ballpark as you tomorrow :wink:

I too have a tough time waiting 7ish days and usually do a pour-over after about 4-5 days.
Next time someone's teaching, why don't you get taught..."

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

downy_ball wrote: I too have a tough time waiting 7ish days and usually do a pour-over after about 4-5 days.

Well pastry chef wife got a cap at 4 days just now. 100% approval with a nice grin. I will wait until tomorrow for a straight espresso.
Artisan.Plus User-

#14: Post by downy_ball (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Well pastry chef wife got a cap at 4 days just now. 100% approval with a nice grin. I will wait until tomorrow for a straight espresso.
Jealous as I haven't had time to roast any yet :(
It's been cold and wet here the past few days and I usually roast outside. I think I'm going to try using the bathroom today as it has a nice powerful exhaust fan. Besides, with this Shelter in Place going on I need to keep me, my wife and the neighbors stocked up on freshly roasted coffee.

:wink:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

My second batch of Hama O Rama done a bit darker (6 degrees in similar time) than the first, and 19 days post roast is a wowzza in a cap today. Worth a try.
Artisan.Plus User-

#16: Post by downy_ball (original poster) »

Well, I finally had some time and nice weather to roast some of the Hama-O-Rama from Sweet Maria's. First, I'm impressed at what an even roast I got. Some of the Yemen greens I roasted were a little finicky and had their fair share of under/over developed beans - but then I think that only adds to the wonderful mystique of their flavor. (These are the first non-Yemen beans I've roasted so bear with me here.) And yea I'm completely old school, except for using the Mastech to track temperatures.

I've got to hand it to this little roaster - with just the right amount of common sense and some fairly good greens I've been able to roast some really excellent coffee. Yes, I've looked around at drum roasters etc. but until I see the need to roast batches larger than a half-pound, I think I'm good.

It smells absolutely divine - I'm going to have a hard time waiting even 3 or 4 days to give it a try :wink:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#17: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Love your post; enjoy your Hama. We have.
Artisan.Plus User-

#18: Post by downy_ball (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Well I've thoroughly enjoyed the Hama-O-Rama but alas, it's almost gone. On a hunch that we may have similar espresso tastes could you point me in the direction of something just as delicious? At first glance the Liquid Amber and Moka Kadir from Sweet Maria's look promising...

:wink:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#19: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Well here's one we are enjoying now. Can't say it shows up within my normal wheel graph desires, but I'll give the backstory.

We had the Rwanda Nyamasheke Kanyege Station. Was described as: Cane juice sweetness anchors the cup, lemon grass tea, citric acidity, cinnamon and all-spice finish. Robust spiced chocolate when roasted dark. City to Full City. Prime espresso option.

No longer available so we tried the successor Rwanda Nyamasheke Kanyege. In stock still. Basically same region and washing station; different though.

We like it enough that we got that for espresso along with Ethiopia Dry Process Shakiso Korommii and Yemen Mokha Matari.

I have tried both those blends in the past and haven't gone back to them of late but between the two I would go for the Moka Kadir right now. The Moka isn't likely to be quite a sweet. Also depends on how roasted. We don't go anywhere near second crack.
Artisan.Plus User-

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by wingnutsglory »

Has anyone tried Ethiopia Misty Valley Yirgacheffe Natural from Coffee Bean Corral? They sent a notice that they have a new arrival in stock now. Sounds good but I wasn't sure how it compares to other Eth Nat fruit bombs.