FORMAT The format of last year's competition worked well, and we'll repeat it this year. There are four sections:
- Espresso Open: Use the best coffee or coffees you can find.
- Espresso Closed: a single coffee or a blend selected from the seven listed below
- Brewed Coffee Open: Use the best coffee or coffees you can find.
- Brewed Coffee Closed: a single coffee or blend selected from the seven listed below
COFFEES In the two closed competition sections for espresso and brewed, you CAN CHOOSE from these seven coffees supplied by Sweet Marias.
- Brazil Sertao Lot 50
- Rwanda Jumba Vunga
- Bolivia FTO Cenaproc
- Guatemala Antigua Hacienda Carmona Pulcal
- Java Kopi Sunda
- Papua New Guinea Tairora Smallholders
- Burundi Karinzi
Last year, you could order a kit with all the coffees. This turned out to be a poor idea, since different people needed different quantities to accommodate their roasters, and since the list contained choices in which they had no interest. SO NO KIT THIS YEAR; order however much you need, order all the coffees, or just those that appeal. Read Tom's exemplary cupping reports. I will post my far less polished but more espresso-centric cupping and shot reports by June 8. Make your choice based on these reports and your own level of experience with the various origins
DATES Entries must be received no later than Monday, July 9. The judging will be complete and the winner's announced by Saturday July 14th.
Address for Espresso Entries, both open and blends
Address for Brewing Entries, both open and blends
- Packaging must be ready for the freezer
- It must be robustly labeled with your name, email or HB handle, and what it is entered for.
- You can include notes on paper about the blend and roast, or submit these by email/pm
- We need a minimum 1/4 pound of green roasted (net weight 90 to 95 grams).
- There is no need to send more than a half pound.