2004 Ambex YM-2 setup problems

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Shpleagan

#1: Post by Shpleagan »

Hello,

First time poster here and am looking for some much needed guidance. I just got my hands on an Ambex YM-2 and am having troubles getting it to fire up. It has the auto profiling computer with the Watlow SD controller and is set up to run propane.

My question is how do I get it to fire up in manual mode? The Watlow reads the ambient temp and "off", and when I try to turn up the temp limit it does not respond and keeps saying "off."

I have also tried getting into the settings on the Watlow but it does not respond to that either. I am wondering if the controller is bunk, the button contacts are dirty, it is somehow locked or maybe it needs the profiler computer hooked up to work...

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks coffee peoples!!

danetrainer

#2: Post by danetrainer »

I'm not quite sure if what you are saying "try to turn up the temp limit..."
Is the Set temp not increasing on the Watlow display?
There is the ability to lock out controls in it's programming so that could be the case...I have never had experience with the their Auto Profiling setup.
If you can't find the Watlow PDF, I do have it. It is a bit complicated to figure out allot of the details as it offers so much...and the unlock is configured in some deep menu sequences if I remember correctly.
I would doubt the Watlow itself is failed. Shoot me a PM
with your email address if you are unable to locate the PDF.

Shpleagan (original poster)

#3: Post by Shpleagan (original poster) »

Thanks for replying danetrainer. Yes the Set temp is not increasing and just reads "off" when I hit the arrow buttons. I have looked through the manual but will check again about it being locked out.

Shpleagan (original poster)

#4: Post by Shpleagan (original poster) »

I figured out the issue with the roaster. The contacts behind the buttons on the Watlow SD controller were dirty and needed a cleaning with isopropyl. Getting to the contacts was a challenge requiring undoing the wires on the controller, using two putty knives to get the controller out of its mount, sliding out the motherboard without breaking the plastic, and unscrewing another motherboard behind the faceplate that has the contacts on it

I am not sure how any roasters still use this controller but hopefully this will help someone down the road.

Clint Orchuk

#5: Post by Clint Orchuk »

I've had the same issue with mine. It works, but you have to wiggle the "up" button a bit to get it to start counting up to the 450 degree limit and fire up the roaster. So I assume the contacts are dirty. I've always wondered if there is a way to replace or bypass this controller since it's not used for anything other than to ignite or turn off the burners.