1st Roast Using Artisan and Huky...Feedback?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bradenl123

#1: Post by bradenl123 »

Hey everyone,

Got my Huky yesterday and fired it up this morning. I couldn't connect to the propane tank for about 30 minutes and at that point I was sweating profusely in my garage ready to roast. . . My first roast I didn't realize I had Phidgets 22 and I didn't log anything. This is my second roast. Does the graph not change to 3-4 colors until you finish. I was waiting for the development phase (brown) to begin but it stayed green and threw me off so I clicked FC too early I hit it around 8-9 which is late isn't it? What should I shoot for on average?

Anyways, any type of feedback is welcome!!!!

Thanks,

Braden

bradenl123 (original poster)

#2: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

#3: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

edtbjon

#4: Post by edtbjon »

It seems like you're doing quite good. It takes a good number of roasts to feel comfortable with the roaster and the controls. Throw some software (in this case Artisan) into the mix, and you'll need a (quite a) few more roasts to feel that you're on top of things.
What is the config of your Huky? Solid or perf? If you're on a solid drum, I'd recommend that you lower your charge temperature to say 350F and hit the gas a bit harder up until you go into yellow (at around 300F). The perforated drum needs a little bit higher charge temp, but even with a perforated drum 450F is way too high (in my mind).

With Artisan, you can see the various phases in the vertical fields, 200 - 300 - 390 - 450, with different colors. The ones on the top is an assessment of the roast, which I personally never show. A tip is to stop the roast when you're done (Click OFF), and save the roast. You can then at any time save a graph (go for "Full Size PNG..."), which you can upload to the forum.

#5: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

I am using the perforated drum currently. I have the solid as well just don't feel like changing that and the motor. I also have a variac for fan speed. I just used the tips from Mr Li. for charge temp. I haven't figured out how to control airflow yet but hoping to get that down after (a lot) several roasts. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't consume that much coffee I have three shots a day and she has one so I will just have to give some away. I just need to get Rob Hoos or Scott Raos book to get some more information as well.

Braden

edtbjon

#6: Post by edtbjon »

Yes, I suspected it was a perforated drum (from looking at the profile). Now, whatever you do, don't feel tempted to rebuild your roaster to a solid drum setup. Any config of the Huky is excellent for learning, but you cannot fix any problem by changing setups.
To find your airflow settings, there's a video over at MillCityRoasters on how to find your settings with a cig.lighter. On a Variac, I'd say the three levels would be around 35%, 50% and 65% (adjust to taste). You start the roast at the low setting, with just about enough airflow to support the burner with some air. At around the DryEnd (DE) mark, go for the mid setting and when approaching First Crack (1Cs), go for high airflow. Once you've found the airflow settings you like, you can stick with them and tweak the roast stages by fine adjustments of the burner. When you get the hang of it, you can hit your intended roast profile with only 3-4 burner adjustments.

There is also a whealth of info over at the static forum...

Fox910

#7: Post by Fox910 »

Am roasting on huky . I roast more than 20 roast untill i have find the best techniques with huky to maintain declining in ror .
It seems its not bad with your first roasts just wanna advice you to not use capacity more than 400 in beginning untill you practice. Your charge temperature little high stay around 400 - 410 and in first minute keep your power at lowest and keep you air flow on 15 - 20 % . After first minute increase your power to the max with same air flow 20% .this setting will help you to end drying at 5 - 5.30 . At 300 F . Start reduce your power every one minute but dont lose all your power and increase air flow to 60% and try to monitor your ror to reach 19 or 20 around the 380 F , try to hit FC at 8- 9 MIN
in the middle of FC reduce power to the lowest to avoide that rise after FC . Hope that settings will help you .
You may need to add a dimmer to the air flow fan .

#8: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Followed some guidelines of another user on the Huky forum.....definitely a lot better than previously. Excited to see how it tastes.

Braden

Tonefish

#9: Post by Tonefish »

How can your BT be so much higher than your ET at charge?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

#10: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

I was actually going to post about that..... I don't know. My thermocouple must be a little off but it could be because I am using a perforated drum????