1st Huky roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
leozava
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by leozava »

I did a 455g batch of Brazilian Santos tonight on my new huky. what do you guys think??? im just getting started and this is actually my first time roasting on any roaster. my chaff collector was full and I removed and cleaned it, I think that's why my MET is a little all over the place

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Obviously, the results in the cup are what matters most. Without having something to compare to, or much to go on, a graph won't give too much objective information that you can use for feedback, but I'd be willing to bet you could get better results in a shorter total roast time. That much time after 1st crack probably flattened a lot of flavors and sweetness. I'll be curious to hear your impressions though.

You might want to consider mapping your ROR.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
summer

#3: Post by summer »

Check http://www.hukyforum.com/
Lots of info on your new roaster!

genecounts

#4: Post by genecounts »

Hope you are roasting for espresso.
Great advice about looking at HukyForum. When you get over there lots of newbies and first roast advice. You really need to get into Artisan again and refine your settings. Your graph is really hard to interpret as is.
There is a great ABC in setting up Artisan that this lowly novice was able to follow.

rgrosz

#5: Post by rgrosz »

Here are some artisan options that you might want to try to improve your graph.
Menu / Config / Axes
By changing the axes, you'll "zoom in" on the relevant area
Menu / Tools / Extras
Smoothing the curves a bit eliminates excess noise

LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

Also consider checking that Linear Projection box. It will give you an idea of where your roast is headed and time to make corrections in advance.

And changing the Delta Axis to 100 so that your ROR graph stays below your roasting graph.

leozava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by leozava (original poster) »

thanks for the tips. I rushed into that first roast because I was eager to try my new roaster, ive been doing a lot of reading and made some changes to artisan, I will post my second graph hopefully tomorrow

Advertisement
keno

#8: Post by keno »

In my experience with the Huky 455 g is larger than the ideal batch size. The roaster gives better results and is more controllable with a somewhat smaller batch. I like 350 g in which gives about 300 or so out.

Overall your profile looks pretty darn good for a first roast. However, the charge temp looks a little high, especially for a lower grown Brazillian. Total roast duration is also pretty long, try to keep it around 13 minutes or less. Would also be helpful if you plotted delta BT and applied smoothing to your curves.

leozava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by leozava (original poster) »

so heres my second roast, dropped at a lower temp but still took too long to get to fc. why is my delta bt so all over the place??

squawmanex

#10: Post by squawmanex »

Also try extending your sampling interval, maybe to 3 or 5 seconds. Otherwise you'll have that spikey graphs all over. I had the same problem. Even with 5 seconds, you have plenty of time to correct in case your roast calls it for.

As said earlier, try lower charges. 300g or 350g. These loads are very controllable. Yesterday I tried 1lb (455g) charge, and although the curve looked nice, the First Crack "dip" was rather hard to control, same as the consequent flick upwards after the first crack (when the beans become endothermic). I also noticed some roasting defects that I did not see in my previous roasts. I some tipping and cratering (very few though).

Check this post for more info Coffee Roasting Defects Pictorial

So basically follow Scott Rao advice on this one as well - Don't use the roaster's full capacity. The sweet spot around 70% of full load