1st effort roasting on Huky 500T... advice? - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#91: Post by Marcelnl »

You can adjust the axis steps, under config-axix, I adjusted the delta t to show a max of 25 Celsius and the temp axis to show anything between 25 and 250 C.

You can sure try grounding the Huky, or you may be facing a dodgy connection (undo the BT probe lead and gove the wire end a and connectors a good clean).

And do try to read up, several good books out there, I like Scott Rao's 'roaster companion'and have just landed 'best practices'.
edit: now having read a few chapters 'best practices' gets my solid recommendation as reading material!
LMWDP #483

samhfoley (original poster)

#92: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

The forum keeps telling me that I might need to start a new thread....If I do need to do that, let me know. :D I have made some modifications and want some feedback as to how to proceed. I've enclosed some pictures of my setup. as you can see from the images, the storage shed that I am operating out of has no 3 socket electrical outlet, and at the moment nor does the power strip I am using. I only have one 3 prong plug (Variac) and for that I am using a 2 prong adapter. With my previous roasts having that erratic behavior with the blue line I was told to ground the HUKY, so I have attached a wire running from the HUKY to a metal stake that I have driven into the ground. Will this suffice for the grounding that was mentioned earlier? Should I get a power strip with three pronged outlets? Necessary?? Any other impediment and/or improvement you can see in my current configuration (minus replacing the BT probe....)?

Oh...I also replaced the 42 RPM motor with the 72 RPM motor finally. Have not roasted since the swap, but it's in place and operational now. Thanks again in advance. I really appreciate any and all feedback.

https://ibb.co/LxG9077
https://ibb.co/y4LL0FX
https://ibb.co/sHRvWs4
https://ibb.co/jvMCtsj
https://ibb.co/Kwyy3mW

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#93: Post by Marcelnl »

and go dig up that treasure you put the stake in :mrgreen: or am I wrong seeing a copper coin?

Grouding only works if the conductivity of the earth is good enough, and if the stake is conductive (and stays it), I don't think a ground loop is your issue as long as you work with your laptop not connected to mains (most laptoppower adapters are not even grounded) but that the curve settings are too bold for the stock probe.
LMWDP #483

#94: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Here are the latest 2 roasts I did, I changed axis steps like you suggested.... the delta t to show a max of 25 Celsius and the temp axis to show anything between 25 and 250 C.

Also unplugged all of the probes from the Center, wiped them down and replugged them back in.

Still seeing the blue line all over the place.....

The Sumatra I dropped about 30 seconds before the graph says so...just forgot to click the button!

Marcelnl

#95: Post by Marcelnl »

what the BT shows is weird, large swings and a HUGE one right after starting out.
It might help if you log air and gas settings using sliders so we can see where you made changes. What smoothing and span settings are you using?

Given that your Et and BT look smooth enough the issue is likely how Delta BT is processed...

example of the sliders here:

brick color is gas, blue is air
BT delta span 10 sec, smoothing 4 (you can adjust ET and BT span and smoothing separately)
LMWDP #483

#96: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

I have been using this instruction from post #36 for air and gas...

Here is the recipe I've been using that gives me some pretty nice curves for a city roast (washed Ethiopians, like I think you said you were doing?). Keep in mind it's for 380g, so I think just lowering your charge temp to 210 will get you in the right spot for 300.

Charge temp - 230 C (210ish for 300g) with fan at 50 V
30 second soak
4 kPa at 30 seconds
150 C (dry end) - 3.0 kPa
160 C - 2.5 kPa
170 C - 2.0 kPa
180 C - 1.5 kPa
190 C - 1.0 kPa
45 s into FC - gas off (or down to lowest setting - I usually put it at 0.4 to keep it lit but not adding too much heat)
1 min into FC - fan to 75 V
1:30-2:00 DT - drop

So I basically have the fan on at 50V for the whole roast until the end when i crank it to 75V 1 min past FC.

Where do I set up the sliders you are mentioning....I see Events/Sliders, but do not understand how to configure them.

you said "BT delta span 10 sec, smoothing 4 (you can adjust ET and BT span and smoothing separately)"

isn't that what I have here?

Marcelnl

#97: Post by Marcelnl »

the advice on gas and air settings you show were not mine, does not matter as they should work!.

THe settings shown at delta span and smoothing are indeed what I mentioned what I am using, your probe is not as fast and you may not get away with the same settings so I suggest trying higher numbers until you have some noise ( as extreme settings will get you a nice curve but it;s devoid of any real time information). BAsically what the delta span does is gather information over time to normalize the readings. So if you set delta span to 60 seconds you will always be 60 seconds behind the curve PLUS the lag of the probe (which is largish witha 5mm probe). The smoothing is how much the graph is 'ironed' no wrinkles does not mean that the info gets any better, you want to be on the optimum between wrinkly real data and a smooth curve.

If you click the sliders, you will see two sliders on screen that allow you to drag to a setting, ideally resembling your gas and air setting.
I use it as follows; when I adjust gas I set the slider accordingly; so 4.5KPa becomes 45 on the gas slider
For air it;s a bit more guesswork, so I only adjust to a sort of percentage trying to log the general dorection in which air went and relative to full pull ventilator....I use minimal air these days, with the Huky its easy to use too much air. As long as you get chaff out air is mostly high enough. A bit of air can be used as brake to dampen a temp surge but it;s more than anything else cosmetic dabbling and temp surges and dips ( flicks and crashes in roaster lingo) are better tamed by manipulating gas early enough, so your first roast of a new bean is sortof sacrificed as you'll be behind the curve. IN a next roast (and that is why it's important to keep batch size and charge temp and the heat up and in between roast protocols the same) you know when a bean is prone to crashing or flicking and depending on the probe lag (in your case think a minute and a half or so) you should try to adjust gas ahead of what you know will be coming.

sounds difficult, it;s a bit like steering an oil tanker with an oar, but it;s doable if easier with a faster probe (less lag time so you need not to be as clairvoyant)
LMWDP #483

Advertisement

#98: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

As far as charge temp being same for each bean, it does differ by batch weight, correct? I've been shooting for 220-230 for 400g and 210-220 for 300g. I usually have the temp right but by the time I click charge the temp drop has set in. Hit charge before putting beans in? Maybe that's it.

As far as the numbers in the curves section being too low, any recommended numbers based on std. probe?

Do you think I should get the 3mm probe swap? If so can you provide me a link? Everything there I need to swap with? No adapter for size difference etc.

Do you have another series of roast steps for me to follow like I posted above? I looked back but didn't see anything as sequential as that one.

Thanks

mkane
Supporter ♡

#99: Post by mkane »

To much gas mid roast and try leaving the fan alone.

#100: Post by samhfoley (original poster) replying to mkane »

So leave the fan at 50V throughout?

Mid roast / how low high...the level of gas... and at what temps