1st effort roasting on Huky 500T... advice? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

samhfoley wrote:Now I am really confused, sorry. To achieve what you're talking about 1.5kPa I am using the propane regulator and not the blue dial to adjust?

I had thought it was just a simple turn to full on for the propane and then adjustments were going to be made with the blue dial on the IR stove.

I get 5.0 when I turn that black switch full on, like I said earlier, but when the flame is lit the gauge is reading around 2.0.
Sorry, I may not have been explaining it well enough!

The black knob on the stove is only to open the gas flow and start the flame. Your regulator appears to have a knob, adjustable pressure regulators do exist and it could be that you have one. IN that case you may be able to increase the max pressure by turning that what appears to be a black knob on the regulator.

Once set you leave the max pressure your regulator supplies alone, and you regulate heat (measured by pressure on the pressure gauge) using the bleu knob, you should be able to adjust heat using that blue knob between 0 KPa and something like 4KPa
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

Recommend you read the following thread on gas regulators and settings for the Huky as well. It will also help you avoid ruining your gauges by too much pressure. And yes, set black knob to full power setting and leave it there. Huky - Gas Regulator

samhfoley (original poster)

#13: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:can it be that is an adjustable regulator?

Just give that what appears a black knob a twist (probably counterclockwise and see if that changes the max pressure/flow.
Otherwise you need to find a 50mBar regulator or limit batch size.
I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if moving the black lever will effect flame after the IR burned is lit. Like I said. 5.0 pre flame but just 2.0 after I start the burner.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist »

Here's a thread on batch sizes for the Huky. In short, the max reasonable batch size which gives optimal roast control is around 400g:. Huky 500 max batch size

PS: Sorry to just post links to threads instead of directly answering your questions, but there is a great deal of useful info in them well worth understanding.

#15: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Recommend you read the following thread on gas regulators and settings for the Huky as well. It will also help you avoid ruining your gauges by too much pressure. And yes, set black knob to full power setting and leave it there. Huky - Gas Regulator
Thanks. Japan is very strict with their propane. You have to go through a supplier and they come out and apply their own regulator to the tank. That's what they did. I'm not using the regulator that came with the roaster (gas man says this one is the same type) because I can't. I have to use the regulator supplied by the gas company. Now I need to find out if that's what's giving me grief or not.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Brewzologist replying to samhfoley »

Yes, propane regulators appear to be very country specific. The threads I gave you are mostly USA specific, but you can extrapolate the unit of measure for other countries. In some countries the standard fixed regulators put out too low a pressure to adequately drive the Huky's IR stove, so users have changed to variable regulators to get higher gas input. That said, you don't NEED a variable regulator, you just need any regulator that will put out >1 PSI (~69mbar, 6.9 kPa, etc) to adequately drive the Huky stove to it's roughly 5kPa max output (via the gauge after the blue needle valve). With 5kPa on the IR stove, you can pretty much drive any type of roast/charge you want.

Marcelnl

#17: Post by Marcelnl replying to Brewzologist »

There may be a little more nuance between 30mBar not being adequate and needing 1PSI (69mBar AKA 6.9KPa).
Your gas flow is affected by a.o the pressure, with the gas nozzle fixed it's pretty much your best bet to get more flow by increasing pressure yet there IS a max pressure at which the nozzle still works properly and beyond that it dies off or burns incompletely :!: .
I recently bought an 8KW stir fry monster burner to do my Chinese Sichuan cooking outside :mrgreen: ...it does not well AT ALL on 50mBar but whacks out full power at 30mBar.

So in short, you need more than a 30mBar regulator for larger batches and the stove is capable of handling more pressure, I'd recommend the 50mBar or a variable regulator that goes higher than the standard 30mBar usually found. If not possible, adjust your batch size accordingly. ( my results with 375g showed that I already needed more power, so likely the max batch is closer to 300g on 30mBar)

your reguator looks similar/identical to the first one on this page; https://www.sakae-trading.co.jp/english ... tor_en.htm
and the table seems to indicate you only get a fixed 28mBar or so with a broad range ( or anything between 2.3 and 3.3KPa really :roll: )
BUT; it also shows a variable regulator capable of 150KPa, the RD5 and its in and outlets are compatible with the one you now have.
LMWDP #483

#18: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote: your regulator looks similar/identical to the first one on this page; https://www.sakae-trading.co.jp/english ... tor_en.htm
and the table seems to indicate you only get a fixed 28mBar or so with a broad range ( or anything between 2.3 and 3.3KPa really :roll: )
BUT; it also shows a variable regulator capable of 150KPa, the RD5 and its in and outlets are compatible with the one you now have.
So this would explain why I am only seeing about 2.0 or a little above when I ignite the burner on 3 flame level with the blue dial all the way open. You think I need to get the RD5 regulator? That would solve my issue? I can look into that but I see on http://www.fujikoh-grp.co.jp/lp/a_kah2_0.html that it is not approved for household usage...so I'm not sure if they'll allow me to use it. I can check.

Marcelnl

#19: Post by Marcelnl »

samhfoley wrote:So this would explain why I am only seeing about 2.0 or a little above when I ignite the burner on 3 flame level with the blue dial all the way open. You think I need to get the RD5 regulator? That would solve my issue?
Probably best to talk with the gas supplier, but I expect it should solve your problem. Just explain them you need 50mBar (or 5KPa) and ask them how you can obtain it, there may be all sorts of rules making it impossible, in that case you probably need to find a replacement stove that cn handle more gas flow through bigger or more nozzles.
LMWDP #483

#20: Post by samhfoley (original poster) »

Great, I'll inquire today and see what he says. I'll let you know. In the event that I need to replace the IR stove, what specs should I look for in a replacement? I am a bit at a loss again on these technical terms, pressure rates, KPa, etc...