1kg roaster trolley

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Paolo

#1: Post by Paolo »

I am wondering what other home roasters use to sit their one kilo roasters on.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks.

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

I use a Rubbermaid Heavy Duty Utility Cart for my Proaster 1.5. It's a wheeled trolley and I do notice that when I roast a full load of 1.5 kg that the trolley does rock a little (although there's no chance of anything bad happening). It also has a handle that gets in the way slightly when I'm getting chaff out of the cyclone. Other than these two small issues I couldn't be happier. Apologies, I'm typing this on a phone so difficult to put post a pic.
LMWDP #602

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

I bought a scissor style lift, from Harbor Freight. The first two arrived so damaged that parts of the lift were sticking out of the shoddy cardboard box it shipped in. I gave up after receiving the bent up second one and used parts from both to build one that was not jacked up.

So, HF is a source for cheap trolley/lifts, but buyer beware, they'll ship it as cheaply and as poorly protected as possible. It's an extremely low cost way of moving the roaster around and the benefit of adjusting height for roasting sessions and changing the height quickly for things like maintenance or modifications to your roaster is extremely convenient, but the above noted problems should be taken into account.

They'll hold extremely heavy things, without problem. My roaster is massive for only a 1 kilo, when compared to some of the newer roaster designs.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

I've used two metal carts with my SF-1 which weighs in at 100#

the first I found to be TOO narrow and I did not like the "top heavy" feel as I moved it around. Sourced it off of ebay when I was using a hottop which it was fine for.

The second one is a commercial/school Luxor AV cart with a pull out tray for a laptop. This one is much wider and much more stable.

I bolted my roaster to both of these and would recommend that anyone using a cart make sure the roaster is firmly attached to the cart.

First cart:

Final cart:

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

JK

#5: Post by JK »

-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

9Sbeans

#6: Post by 9Sbeans »

It'll depend on the dimensions and weight of your roaster.

I use the Trinity Stainless Steel Table with Caster Kit (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Tr ... earchidx=0) for my roaster. The weight capacity of this table is 300 lbs, and my roaster is about 130 lbs. The size is perfect for my roaster and a laptop. I like the NSF certified stainless steel surface which is easy to clean and (obviously) heat resistant. The mechanism to hold the lower shelf is not to my liking though. I don't want to set heavy stuff on the lower shelf and therefore simply keep the propane tank on the ground.

You should also consider ergonomics when setting up the bench. When I stand in front of my roaster, I can easily see through the sight window and the bean tryer is close (slightly lower than) the height of my nose. The control dials on the roaster are at very comfortable levels for my hand, too.

I don't take any new picture, only an old un-boxing one at hand.

ripcityman

#7: Post by ripcityman »

This is my Torrefattore 1 kilo electric drum roaster I purchased back in 2008. I put the roaster on the garden wagon so I could roast just outside the garage or in the backyard. The machine requires 220 vac, which I had available in the backyard from my hot tub electrical panel.

Tourman

#8: Post by Tourman »

Given the North 1K TJ-067 weighs in at 220#, I wanted something that would handle that safely. May have been overkill, but this packing table can handle up to 500#. I also got the locking casters for it. Extremely solid, no wiggling. The 1 3/4" thick maple top is great. Plenty of room for laptop, etc. I'm very satisfied with it. See http://bit.ly/21i3St8.
Dan

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen

woodchuck

#9: Post by woodchuck »

Hey Dan, how high do you have your table set for. I have a TJ-067 on order and was wondering how high to build the table top.

Thanks

Ian

Tourman

#10: Post by Tourman »

Hey Dan, how high do you have your table set for. I have a TJ-067 on order and was wondering how high to build the table top.
The table I use has the capability to chose within a range of heights. I didn't want it too high so I set it at the second to the lowest option. What I didn't fully realize was how much height the castors would add. It ended up being 38" from floor to table top. In hindsight I probably should have set it at the lowest so I would have been around 37" total, but it's perfectly fine (I stand 5'10"). A slight stretch dumping beans into the chute, but very manageable. Probably more important is my reach to the trier. Again, I think 37" would have been perfect for my height.
Dan

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen