ZF64W - Automatic weighing grinder with zero retention and 64mm burrs - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GeorgeP922
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by GeorgeP922 »

jpt wrote:Looks very interesting. Too bad there is very little information available.

Btw, I really hope it is titanium nitride and not titanium coating. The latter would make no sense.
Is there such a thing as pure titanium burrs, along with nitride, or just nitride.
I feel like I have seen this comment before and it kind of smells like snark.

graphidz

#22: Post by graphidz »

Doubt there is a pure titanium burr. I'm sure it's possible just not cost effective. Full titanium, precision cut burr at $200?

jpt

#23: Post by jpt »

Nunas wrote:jpt,
I have a few questions/requests. Please tell me the distance from ...
Nunas,

The height of the grinder is 54cm, and the sides of the bean hopper are tapered. So cutting part of the hopper of doesn't seem feasible.

The depth, from the back to the front of the tray underneath the scale, is 35 cm.

I haven't opened the grinder yet, so I don't have an exact plan on how to make it stepless.

jpt

#24: Post by jpt »

graphidz wrote:Doubt there is a pure titanium burr. I'm sure it's possible just not cost effective. Full titanium, precision cut burr at $200?
Titanium is softer than hardened steel. So having a pure titanium burr or titanium coated steel burrs, would be worse than having just steel burrs. Titanium nitrade on the other hand is very hard.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Nunas »

jpt wrote:Nunas, The height of the grinder is 54cm, and the sides of the bean hopper are tapered. So cutting part of the hopper of doesn't seem feasible. The depth, from the back to the front of the tray underneath the scale, is 35 cm. I haven't opened the grinder yet, so I don't have an exact plan on how to make it stepless.
Thanks! I'll use those dimensions to see if I can somehow fit it in. I saw a review from Australia where they had a second hopper, one of those bellows things. Perhaps I'll write the manufacturer and see if it holds a reasonable amount, or is just intended as a single-shot hopper.

Concerning the stepless idea, I wonder how much torque there is on the adjustment wheel. In a video, It appears that some sort of spring-loaded pawl goes down into the depressions on top of the gear. Perhaps carefully drilling additional depressions in between the existing ones would work.

EDIT: I just looked closely at the videos and see that the idea of drilling additional stops wouldn't work. But, I'm sure if I buy one I will be able to machine something suitable. Only time will tell! Maybe this threat to buy a Sette replacement will cause my 20Wi to last forever...kind of carrying an umbrella is supposed to ward off the rain :lol:

Anyway, for the moment my Sette continues to work, so this isn't all that urgent :)