ZF64 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Nunas »

megamixman wrote:@Nunas, on the Alibaba site there is usually a single voltage and then later a 110-240V specification, suggesting it may be a DC motor with a universal voltage controller. Can you confirm if your ZF is listed for one voltage or universal voltages?
Sorry, but I can't say for sure. When I ordered, I specified that I wanted a unit that would work on 120-volt 60-Herts, with a Can/US plug. That's what I received. I looked at the back and sides and can see no label, I tipped it up and there's none there, but I couldn't turn it upside down, as it's full of beans :D If I had to guess, I'd say that it's not a DC motor and that the grinder is not universal voltage. If you order one, my advice would be to specify. Unlike with the Quest, where emailing Molly in English can be a bit of a challenge, Amanda at Feilai had no such problem. The next time I clean the grinder I'll try to remember to turn it upside down, look closely for a label and update this.

Update: I just went into the basement and had a look at the carton. There's a label clearly indicating that my grinder is 120-Volt 60-Hertz. So, I'm even more certain that it isn't universal voltage.

boren

#22: Post by boren »

Thank you Nunas for sharing your impressions of this intriguing grinder. If my Sette 270Wi ever dies and is beyond repair, the ZF64W will be at the top of my list. Beyond the dimensions of this grinder, do you see any drawbacks compared to the Sette?

heytchap

#23: Post by heytchap »

Reminder that this grinder isn't stepless, so espresso functionality is limited.

boren

#24: Post by boren »

If, as Nunas suggests, every step is worth about 2 seconds of difference in shot time, it's perfectly fine. At least for me.

Jonk

#25: Post by Jonk »

Pretty sure it's intended for espresso :wink:

Anyway, it's interesting to know how it would work for single dosing and even multi-purpose thanks to the reported low retention. I read the review at coffeegeek.co but it's not very clear what average retention is to be expected if you don't use the bellows. I mean 0,5g is fairly of good but <0.1g is excellent. Of course it's a bit more complicated than that seeing as there might be exchange as well..
Nunas wrote:I couldn't say how many steps from pour-over to espresso, as I don't often do pour-over :)
If you do use it for coarse grounds it would be appreciated if you could count the steps/rotations. I'm afraid it might be too many to be practical.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Nunas »

Jonk wrote:Pretty sure it's intended for espresso :wink: Anyway, it's interesting to know how it would work for single dosing and even multi-purpose thanks to the reported low retention. I read the review at coffeegeek.co but it's not very clear what average retention is to be expected if you don't use the bellows. I mean 0,5g is fairly of good but <0.1g is excellent. Of course it's a bit more complicated than that seeing as there might be exchange as well.. If you do use it for coarse grounds it would be appreciated if you could count the steps/rotations. I'm afraid it might be too many to be practical.
I've never tried it for single dosing and probably won't ever use it as such, as mine is the W version that weighs the grinds. In any case, the same company makes the DF64 for single dosing, which is widely reported on here on H-B. I'd get that if I were into single dosing.
I did grind some coffee, then switched to the bellows hopper and gave it a few good pushes. Virtually nothing came out. This only proves that the post grinding path isn't retaining anything. I can't say what might be caught between the sweepers.
There are about 30 steps from finest (choke the machine) to coarsest. Note that this is an espresso grinder, so "coarsest" isn't particularly coarse (still finer than table sugar). However, there's a plastic tab under the top plate and a stop pin that hits it. If either were removed, then you could probably grind as coarse as you like. Note again, that the burrs in mine are TiN, and intended for espresso. I don't know what the grind would be like with the standard steel burrs.
Edit: What was I thinking...I meant table salt, not sugar.

boren

#27: Post by boren »

Did anyone try this grinder (or specifically the ZF64W) for pour-over? With flat 64mm burrs it should be decent in theory, but is it in practice?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Nunas replying to boren »

I have not done so, as I now use my 7-270Wi for pour over, etc. Note, however, that this is an espresso grinder. As I mentioned above, you'd have to make a small modification to be able to turn the adjustment far enough for coarser grinds. I've not made this modification, but I'm quite sure it would be very easy to do.

Giampiero

#29: Post by Giampiero »

megamixman wrote:@Nunas, on the Alibaba site there is usually a single voltage and then later a 110-240V specification, suggesting it may be a DC motor with a universal voltage controller. Can you confirm if your ZF is listed for one voltage or universal voltages?
The motor it has a capacitor, so it's not a DC motor, i did open one ZF64 last year, only the power relay of the board it has the coil at 12DC