Zerno grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bobR

#81: Post by bobR »

p4lxrich wrote:i'm also debating this over df83. i just want a grinder that i don't need to do any modifications to be more than ok.
I would encourage you to email info@zerno.co with any specific questions that might be lingering for you after looking at their info. I find Noah to be very helpful and he will consult with the engineers if needed.

Jeff
Team HB

#82: Post by Jeff »

If you're looking for a grinder that you "don't need to do any modifications to" I would avoid any of the ever-expanding crop of XXNNY grinders. You've now got copies of copies of grinders out there, as they all fight for a slice of a tantalizing pie. Just because it is labeled DF[something] doesn't mean that it is even made by the same ODM. You're buying a grinder that is made by a firm that may make vacuum cleaners, blenders, and other appliances. These firms seem to lack the understanding of what is required for the tolerances needed in a 64 mm grinder for espresso, not to mention an 83, 98, or larger. In general, I'd also avoid any manufacturer that does not have expertise applicable to precision espresso grinders.

p4lxrich

#83: Post by p4lxrich »

yep. definitely. i really want the lagom p64. i'll just wait for that to be in stock. don't want to get another unknown grinder just to have the latest and greatest and especially if its not another gotta do some mods grinder.

Aster X

#84: Post by Aster X »

Unfortunately many great looking/wanted grinders lack a very important feature: availability. I want a Zerno, not avb. for Europe, no idea when will be, I may want a Lagom P64, earliest dispatch is december, ETA could well be january-february, Orbit is only in pictures etc.

They just don's seem to want to take my money. :D

Giampiero

#85: Post by Giampiero »

I'm glad to see they sold out the pre-order units, hope to read soon some impressions.

p4lxrich

#86: Post by p4lxrich »

Don't think they sold out. They had 20 left before time ran out. I missed it and messaged them. And they got me on the preorder.

Giampiero

#87: Post by Giampiero replying to p4lxrich »

Ok, probably due to i'm not in USA or Canada, their website is programmed to show sold out to avoid request from abroad.

malling

#88: Post by malling »

Jeff wrote:If you're looking for a grinder that you "don't need to do any modifications to" I would avoid any of the ever-expanding crop of XXNNY grinders. You've now got copies of copies of grinders out there, as they all fight for a slice of a tantalizing pie. Just because it is labeled DF[something] doesn't mean that it is even made by the same ODM. You're buying a grinder that is made by a firm that may make vacuum cleaners, blenders, and other appliances. These firms seem to lack the understanding of what is required for the tolerances needed in a 64 mm grinder for espresso, not to mention an 83, 98, or larger. In general, I'd also avoid any manufacturer that does not have expertise applicable to precision espresso grinders.
Well even so called manufacturers with decades of expertise cannot really live up to the tolerance needed for a grinder, you would think they had the knowledge and understanding but their grinder is just as much out of alignment as DF(something), it doesn't matter if it's made in Germany or Italy as neither are typically well aligned, so much for the relevance of that.

With your point that leave you with only about 4 small craftsmen manufacturers with very high priced grinders in Titus, Option-O, Kafatek and Weber Workshop and some relatively new players on the grinder front like Acaia, Zerno, kopi koncept, Levercraft and a bunch of relative unknown asian manufacturers like Molar, Wug2 grinder etc.
neither of whom can be described as especially cheap.

To get a grinder that you described requires in other words a noticeable budget, if one doesn't have the budget or simply aren't willingly to pay such sum one have to live with a grinder that at the bare minimum needs aftermarket alignment.

p4lxrich

#89: Post by p4lxrich »

Giampiero wrote:Ok, probably due to i'm not in USA or Canada, their website is programmed to show sold out to avoid request from abroad.
Yes it's only for usa. But 9/30 was the deadline and they didn't hit 100. I believe it was either 100 units sold or 9/30 deadline. Whichever came first so they can hopefully deliver before end of 2022. So we'll see