Zerno grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#71: Post by Giampiero »

I really hope the Zerno will reach soon it's quota, as well i hope it will become available even for 230 volt 50 Hz next year, finger crossed.

bobR

#72: Post by bobR »

About 2 weeks left on the pre-sale of the new Zerno grinder. I'm pretty optimistic. The very short drivetrain should help stabilize alignment along with the high precision machining of the burr holder. I personally like their decision to set RPM with gearbox to 600 RPM rather than a variable RPM. This keeps cost down some but I think provides a simpler and maybe more reliable drive. I also like the auger/pre-breaker to help the single dosing feed. And, it's a nice looking grinder. They have a new director of customer support (to take the load off the engineers) so getting info is pretty easy. The pre-sale units will be made in Chicago at an innovation hub which I like. I suppose they will then look to ramp up production somewhere else. I will post some results when I get my unit sometime closer to the end of the year.

Advertisement
JonTheFisherman
Supporter

#73: Post by JonTheFisherman »

Just discovered this grinder today and slightly considering cancelling my DF83 pre-order now. Fun fact: the word "zerno" means "a bean" in Bulgarian - which I am quite positive is intentional as the people behind this grinder are Bulgarians judging by their names. Source: I am Bulgarian myself. :)

TheJoePro

#74: Post by TheJoePro »

I was initially waiting for the Orbit to release, but I just pre-ordered the Zerno instead... can't wait for them to start production!

titan

#75: Post by titan »

bobR wrote:I personally like their decision to set RPM with gearbox to 600 RPM rather than a variable RPM. This keeps cost down some but I think provides a simpler and maybe more reliable drive
It did not noticeably decrease their cost. They are +/- in the ball park of Orion Orbit with SSP. And, at least on discord, they avoided questions about how they ensured the burr alignment.

bobR

#76: Post by bobR »

titan wrote:It did not noticeably decrease their cost. They are +/- in the ball park of Orion with SSP. And, at least on discord, they avoided questions about how they ensured the burr alignment.
I think the cost is relatively in line with competition with regard to features offered. I'm actually thinking the drive and gearbox, although it didn't specifically reduce cost will be more reliable and together with the auger/pre-breaker will give less feed problems. The alignment issue claims are mostly based on the short, stabilized drive train and precision machined burr holders. Whether or not additional alignment would be beneficial or needed at some point is unknown. They are doing some psd tests and their new director of customer support is very responsive. I'm hoping the early supporters will get some extras. Right now they are offering an expanded range of custom caps for supporters but hinted more was coming. Some of the parts are already being manufactured for the release and I am hoping for shipment November or December but I know delays can happen.

Giampiero

#77: Post by Giampiero »

titan wrote:It did not noticeably decrease their cost. They are +/- in the ball park of Orion with SSP. And, at least on discord, they avoided questions about how they ensured the burr alignment.
Sorry for my OT...what brand is the Orion grinder?
Edit: forgot my question, i think you meant Orbit.

Advertisement
Primacog

#78: Post by Primacog replying to Giampiero »

LMWDP #729

Giampiero

#79: Post by Giampiero replying to Primacog »

Yes i know, but the guy wrote Orion, that's why i asked, i thought i missed some grinder on the way :wink:

p4lxrich

#80: Post by p4lxrich »

i'm also debating this over df83. i just want a grinder that i don't need to do any modifications to be more than ok.