Zerno grinder - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
hwieniawski2

#121: Post by hwieniawski2 »

The Z1 sounds like a great grinder, I'm considering trying to pre-order one, but living in Europe I'm not sure the value is still so high, given the VAT that will be added on...the price + 19% makes the comparison with the (potential) Timemore 78s more difficult, even taking in to account the very positive impressions I've read of the Zerno!
LMWDP #652

bobR

#122: Post by bobR »

portamento wrote:Blind SSP MP burrs are the same cut as the SSP MP burrs - just without the screw holes. Theoretically you have a little more cutting surface area (though it's possible burr screw holes themselves do a bit of pre-breaking?). Hard to say whether there is a difference in the cup until someone systematically triangle tests them.

It's also one less place for coffee grounds to collect, though I don't think the fraction of a gram that collects around the screw head generally exchanges much between doses.

Also, they look cool 8)
And, Zerno has a unique way of allowing regular SSP burrs to be installed while insuring that the blind burrs stay aligned if you use them. I believe they do that with a combination of a strong magnet, removable pins (so the regular burrs can be seated and use screw holes), and side set screws in the blind burrs. I'm very interested in seeing these but more so in the grinder as a whole.

malling

#123: Post by malling »

hwieniawski2 wrote:The Z1 sounds like a great grinder, I'm considering trying to pre-order one, but living in Europe I'm not sure the value is still so high, given the VAT that will be added on...the price + 19% makes the comparison with the (potential) Timemore 78s more difficult, even taking in to account the very positive impressions I've read of the Zerno!
A Timemore has higher in the cup potential then Zerno, it's just a consequence of more real estate on the burrs, it also grind at a similar RPM and higher. It's also just a matter of time before someone will make burrs for it.

This is fundamentally not just a challenge for Zerno but for all these higher end 64mm. The days where you would get these for in the cup results as well is as good as over. Rather you get them for aesthetics, longevity, craftsmanship and because you like the idea to support small more innovative companies. But if your surely looking at getting value in the cup, you should just look elsewhere because you won't get it in these grinders, especially not if you need to import them.

It's just the world we are looking into. However I won't say what is the right decision for you. But Zerno is definitely a nice looking grinder and has some interesting solutions and designs and it would definitely be my pick if I wanted one of these higher end 64mm.

In terms of retention solution, alignment, ease of use, burr swap and cleaning it's definitely above those Chinese made grinders. This is in fact what you pay for. If this is equally important to you then it might be worth it.

But no matter what there is nothing new in these burrs even if they remove the screw holes, it's not drastically changing what these burrs are, just we aren't going to see much in cup improvements if at all, 64mm isn't a "80"-120mm burrs it's just how it is. But these are definitely more home friendly and if one doesn't do crazy stuff then it's definitely a good choice.

Iceman2913

#124: Post by Iceman2913 replying to malling »

I definitely agree with what you are saying, but the retention and ease of use of the timemore sculptor seem to be on par with the zerno and other grinders of its like. The build quality is definitely a step below the zerno but the 078 model seems to have higher build quality than the df 64 and ode 2.

Watched their workflow videos on Youtube and read more on their page. The blind burrs sound really nice and less of a hassle to clean the coffee in between those screws. I think the Zerno is an incredible-looking grinder with tons of thought put into its design and quality of life improvements like the dial being in microns, and ease of being able to put in new burrs or remove burrs within 10 mins. It also seems to be a grinder they plan to constantly improve and add mods too.

But it's also a 1200-dollar grinder launching around the same time as a grinder that cost half the price with the respectable build quality, adjustable rpm that can go lower and higher, pre-breaker, vertical burr placement, and burrs that offer the same flavor profile in the 64 class and 78 size burrs that are said to taste better. The zerno also makes the same noise as the ode gen 2 and timemore 064s when using ssp burrs. Because of the high-end build quality, there will be a limited number of units upon early release and launch compared to timemore too, this isn't an issue but it will drive more consumer discussion around the sculptor.

madgalaxy
Supporter ♡

#125: Post by madgalaxy »

Do any launch edition buyers have a referral code available? Of, so please consider DMing it to me, it would not goto waste!

MoBoTFB

#126: Post by MoBoTFB »

I would also love a referral code if there is anyone with one. Thanks!

doofalb

#127: Post by doofalb »

Weird, I was able to order one just now... I thought the pre-order opened tomorrow morning

bobR

#128: Post by bobR replying to doofalb »

Sold out in about an hour today.

p4lxrich

#129: Post by p4lxrich »

Wow sold out. This came out on everyone's radar this time. Grats to those that got in.

Iceman2913

#130: Post by Iceman2913 »

bobR wrote:Sold out in about an hour today.
I mean Lance keeps mentioning it plus there were only 100 available, right? makes sense