Zerno grinder - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
p4lxrich

#111: Post by p4lxrich »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:They mounted in a way that you can switch to normal burrs if you want to swap later.
yep this was my understanding as well.

fyi...next batch order is 3/31. a few of us here can offer referrals so we can get updated prebreaker and the new buyer can get case (as a referral gift). you can dm us for info on that and will pass it on whenever we get it.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#112: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Did anyone link this yet:

Frenchman

#113: Post by Frenchman »

Are there other reviews of the grinder? And pictures of it next to machines. I think it is pretty small?

At $1199 for run 2, this is getting very close to the price of the Acaia Orbit...

I have a Weber Key, but am looking for a second grinder for my Argos lever which is on the other side of my kitchen (with a wall in between). I also want the ability to quickly and repeatedly go between espresso and pour over if possible: the Weber is horrible for that.
LMWDP #712

Frenchman

#114: Post by Frenchman »

bobR wrote:The RPM on the Zerno is 900. They did a bunch of testing at 600 RPM but in the end selected 900.
That's one of my worries about Zerno. No objective data, no reviews yet... They wrote something like "well we didn't need a brushless motor [after saying they spent so much time designing the perfect one] and variable speed because we found that 600 RPM was perfect for all roasts." And then they ship 900 RPM?

The industrial design is amazing. But as far as grinding decisions etc. and results it's super opaque. It may be great, but how do we know? The way they communicate doesn't inspire confidence (but again it's so pretty!).

I saw that Hedrick mentioned in his $200 baskets review that he used a Z1 and Micra for his testings. So I guess he likes the Z1 enough or he is just playing with the latest toys. Has he talked about the Z1 at all?
LMWDP #712

malling

#115: Post by malling replying to Frenchman »

As far as I'm gathering he is testing it. But it's not like we seen Option-O p64 or Orbit yet either, but also costly purchases.

SteveRhinehart

#116: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Frenchman wrote:That's one of my worries about Zerno. No objective data, no reviews yet... They wrote something like "well we didn't need a brushless motor [after saying they spent so much time designing the perfect one] and variable speed because we found that 600 RPM was perfect for all roasts." And then they ship 900 RPM?

The industrial design is amazing. But as far as grinding decisions etc. and results it's super opaque. It may be great, but how do we know? The way they communicate doesn't inspire confidence (but again it's so pretty!).

I saw that Hedrick mentioned in his $200 baskets review that he used a Z1 and Micra for his testings. So I guess he likes the Z1 enough or he is just playing with the latest toys. Has he talked about the Z1 at all?
Vel is very active and transparent on the EAF discord. There look to be plenty of user reviews there as well.

TheJoePro

#117: Post by TheJoePro »

Greetings All! I picked up one of the Z1 launch editions and am loving it so far... the shots I've pulled are very tasty and there is very little retention. I had some static issues in the beginning, but RDT has greatly reduced that.

Moderator note: Referral code removed.

bobR

#118: Post by bobR replying to TheJoePro »

The updated Zerno that is opening for limited orders in a couple days has added an ionizer to further reduce static and retention. It also is available with very unique and exclusive blind SSP MP burrs. The burr holder/burr design allows standard burr or blind burr installation. It has a few other updates that are very interesting.

Iceman2913

#119: Post by Iceman2913 replying to bobR »

build quality and updates are nice. seems like fellow is going to force everyone to introduce an ionizer

what's the difference between blind ssp mp burrs? like the original ones?

portamento

#120: Post by portamento »

Blind SSP MP burrs are the same cut as the SSP MP burrs - just without the screw holes. Theoretically you have a little more cutting surface area (though it's possible burr screw holes themselves do a bit of pre-breaking?). Hard to say whether there is a difference in the cup until someone systematically triangle tests them.

It's also one less place for coffee grounds to collect, though I don't think the fraction of a gram that collects around the screw head generally exchanges much between doses.

Also, they look cool 8)
Ryan