Zerno grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#11: Post by redbone »

For speed and grind I prefer flats in the 70mm+ range. Also believe Zerno should have gone with larger burrs. Premium flat burr grinder trends are leaning towards burrs larger than 64/65mm.

Here is a partial list of current flat burr grinders above 70mm.

71mm, 73mm MK Guatemala LAB, Guatemala SB
74mm, 75mm Mythos, Mythos one, Anfim SP2, Super Caimano, Eureka Atom*, Neo
80mm Ditting 804 , Lyn weber EG-1, Bunn, Tanzania, Eureak Helios 80
83mm, Mazzer Major, Mazzer ZM, Fiorenzato F83*, Ceado E37*
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

badgerbimmer

#12: Post by badgerbimmer »

All a different product category are way more expensive.

malling

#13: Post by malling »

redbone wrote:For speed and grind I prefer flats in the 70mm+ range. Also believe Zerno should have gone with larger burrs. Premium flat burr grinder trends are leaning towards burrs larger than 64/65mm.

Here is a partial list of current flat burr grinders above 70mm.

71mm, 73mm MK Guatemala LAB, Guatemala SB
74mm, 75mm Mythos, Mythos one, Anfim SP2, Super Caimano, Eureka Atom*, Neo
80mm Ditting 804 , Lyn weber EG-1, Bunn, Tanzania, Eureak Helios 80
83mm, Mazzer Major, Mazzer ZM, Fiorenzato F83*, Ceado E37*
And how many of these are countertop friendly or priced near the Zerno.

There are no less then two new premium 64mm grinders coming next year Acaia Orbit and Kopi Deva.

Also the difference between a 64 and 70ish is mute and can easily be taken care off by simply by getting better burrs, a choice you rarely have with these odd burr seizes.

Also Mahlkonig/Ditting 64mm burrs are IMHO better by a noticeable margin then Mazzers 83mm burrs. Size does not equal quality.

redbone

#14: Post by redbone replying to malling »

Interesting comparison as I've owned a Mahlkonig K30ES Picked up a K30ES today.and currently own a Major E. I was never able to single dose with the K30ES but can with the Major E. To each his own I would give the K30ES 64mm credence over the Super Jolly 64mm but for me the 83mm burrs in the Major E offer superior results in the cup (Medium-Light Roast). All things being equal a larger burr will have a greater area in which to deal with cutting (inside burr) vs final polishing (outside burr). Difference is moot between 64/65 & 70 but distinguishable in both speed and grind results as I moved up in size.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

malling

#15: Post by malling »

I did a comparison many years ago with those two the flavours and clarity where better on the Mahlkonig with my preferences of very light roast, it also delivered a more unimodal grind distribution.

I was never that impressed with the mazzer except for it built.

rwang

#16: Post by rwang »

I'd likely be a backer for the zerno if the price is right. Not a fan of the design of the kopi deva and also hesitant on the longevity given it uses a battery. The df64 though is a functional grinder, does leave something to be desired in terms of aesthetic while the p64 and acaia orbit set to release are in a higher price bracket.

I think if zerno played their cards right, it could be the niche zero of 64mm flat burr single dosers.

dsc106

#17: Post by dsc106 »

Glad to see it's 64mm, and hope to see even more entries in this burr size. It seems the sweet spot for size, speed, price, and overall accessibility.

Iconicred

#18: Post by Iconicred »

Isn't this just a mini EG1? Same angles, but with circular body and smaller burr set

ethiopianbuffman

#19: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

This is more like a mini nautilus or ek. If this has a pre breaker it will be really good

cafeIKE

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

Not everyone has an Instagram account so IG links are DoA.
LObin wrote:The design along with the vertical burr mounting is original.
KitchenAid sold a Chinese PoS with vertical burrs a few years back.
There have been others.
The Zerno team went to great lengths to design and build a powerful custom brushless motor.
Really? For under a grand? More than likely an adapted OTS motor.
Magnetically aligned, 64mm flat burrs
Really? That's gonna be one heck of a magnetic to keep burrs aligned with beans sliding up a wedge with ≈20mm lever.

Looks like a fair bit of offset from the hopper to the exit chute.
Color me sceptical.