Yet Another Super Jolly "Fudge Funnel" Doserless Conversion Project

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AsokAsus

#1: Post by AsokAsus »

A couple of weeks ago I posted a good source for the "fudge" funnels that people have been using to convert the Mazzer Super Jolly grinder to a doserless model, namely:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainles ... 64714.html

This funnel is very well made from thick and VERY hard stainless steel.

One response to that post asked for pictures of the finished conversion, so this post is a response to that request, and recounts information I learned during the process, though there's not too much new here compared to other similar posts about how to do this.

I did, however, do a couple of things differently. First I made a wooden jig as shown below to hold the funnel securely and maintain its shape during the various operations, including poping the tack welds off the handle with a strong, narrow wood chisel. I did the same with the tack welds for the lever post on the inside of the funnel, but those didn't break loose as cleanly for me, and left a couple of divots that are visible in the various pictures.

I used the suggested tracing paper template method to trace the chute-opening and screw holes on the grinder body, applying a spot of spray adhesive to hold the tracing paper (actually kitchen parchment paper) to the grinder and then later to hold it on the funnel. Using the wooden jig, I drilled the screw holes in the funnel and corners of the chute-opening with my drill press before using a Dremel tool to cut the four straight sides of the chute-opening. I used a table saw with a very large metal cutting blade to slice off the end of the funnel to enlarge its open end. I then executed lots of Dremel work to clean everything up and smooth everything down. The finished funnel is shown below:

Here are the "extra" parts removed from the funnel:

After attaching the funnel to my Super Jolly I found the interior grinding marks left by the original manufacturing process caused large amounts of ground coffee to cling to the sides. Unlike the exterior, which was mirror-finished at the factory, the interior was not as smoothly finished, even though it is perfectly suited for its original purpose:

I removed the funnel from my Super Jolly and spent nearly a whole day manually polishing the interior in a very laborious process as I don't possess very much equipment that could aid the process, and this stainless steel is VERY hard!

Basically, I started with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper and worked my way down to 1600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then used the Dremel with a wire wheel, and finally finished up with a composite abrasive wheel on the Dremel. When I got done, I had a very slick interior surface, though from the picture below you can see I didn't get all of the original grinding marks removed.

Essentially, I managed to smooth off the raised lands, but couldn't completely get rid of the grooves as can be seen in the picture below. Nonetheless, the funnel sides were slick enough that almost all the coffee slides down the funnel without sticking. (You can also see my little copper anti-static grid I made from telephone wire, and which can be slid away from the chute to brush out the coffee trapped in the chute:

This final picture shows the finished project, including a wooden cover I made for the funnel. Right now my Super Jolly is set up to grind for brewed coffee, hence the plastic container below the funnel. (Also note that I found a plastic canning funnel that perfectly fits the Super Jolly grinder's throat, and the original doser cap even fits the top of the canning funnel.)

Given all the work involved, this pre-made one on ebay would be a bargain IF the interior had been polished:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mazzer-Supe ... 748841844?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Thanks for the link to AliExpress and the "Octopus balls" fudge funnel/liquer funnel/fondant funnel/confectionary funnel. Great price too, and free shipping! 8) I never would have found it ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

great find, also am planning to do this as I am slowly getting fed up with the doser...nice job!
Did you consider coating the inside of the funnel with something like a clear paint? Not sure if that would work but I feel it should and it is for sure easier to spray on some clearcoat than the laborious polishing process of stainless. (not sure what it would do on static though).

FWIW: this one appears the same but from Germany (likely quicker to deliver within the EU) http://www.amazon.de/WAS-Fondant--Lik%C ... 005NYMP3I/
LMWDP #483

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

In a classic "buy before you need it and end up with more ... 'spare parts,'" I found out late last night that I don't need a funnel to convert an MDX to doserless. Doh! :oops:

Maybe I will try my hand at making fudge ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Haha, but still much better than thinking you have all required parts, then start to dissassemble only to find out you need some part which had a two or three week delivery lead time and reassembling is going to be a pain....

Btw a dosing funnel is not just for fudge,very handy tool for many a kitchen job.
LMWDP #483

sprint jinx

#6: Post by sprint jinx »

One last thing-
I have been having great improvement to the process with the addition of a rubber ball in the throat hopper. My current sphere has a string running through it, so I can lift it up a few inches and slap it down on the throat's narrow intake. That sends a blast of air through the chute and clears 95% of the grounds in that little ledge. Much quicker to sweep with a thick art brush.

Im liking the stainless funnels, so thanks for documenting the modifications.

I have done the same thing now to both a super jolly and my Major. Sanding the finish does assist in the dropping of grounds to the hole in the bottom. I went to 800 grit and cleaned it off, and added a little wax cleaner that left the surface slippery. I wiped off any excess and only the smallest of fine grounds stick to the walls, and you know what, that's ok with me.

The best thing for cutting the stainless funnels are the black cut off wheels. I got a pack at harbor freight for cheap, and they are 2 inches in diameter. They do chop straight lines in stainless, I just wear eye protection and ear plugs, and have at it.

If you want to be really clean and get every last speck of coffee, I advocate for the use of rubber bellows in the feed hopper. Plunging that will send fines outboard of my funnels if not done slowly.

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn »

I did this on my Major, I didn't necessarily get clumps.. but static was a problem. I also found that the chute shot the grounds in a very weird way in the PF, I got awful channeling when using the funnel. Went back to the doser - problem solved. I'd imagine this mod would however work better for a SJ just due to the slower velocity which the grinds exit the chute. I'm considering replacing the chute after I put an antistatic screen in place.

AsokAsus (original poster)

#8: Post by AsokAsus (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote: Did you consider coating the inside of the funnel with something like a clear paint? Not sure if that would work but I feel it should and it is for sure easier to spray on some clearcoat than the laborious polishing process of stainless. (not sure what it would do on static though).
I VERY briefly considered it, but quickly concluded any paint/clear-coat that could be applied in a home workshop would almost certainly end up making things much worse. The paint simply couldn't be made mirror-finish-smooth, would not be very hard, would likely be an insulator to the grounded funnel, doing lord knows what from a static perspective, would probably get scratched up from any cleaning, and likely would just end up being a gummy mess from accumulated coffee oils. Keep in mind this is a food-grade operation and there's many good reasons that kitchen utensils, mixing bowls, and the like are not painted. I also read that even electroplating wouldn't solve the problem as plating is so thin it can't fill gaps.

#9: Post by AsokAsus (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:In a classic "buy before you need it and end up with more ... 'spare parts,'" I found out late last night that I don't need a funnel to convert an MDX to doserless. Doh! :oops:

Maybe I will try my hand at making fudge ...
Or sell it to someone here.

#10: Post by AsokAsus (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:Btw a dosing funnel is not just for fudge,very handy tool for many a kitchen job.
yeah, for example, lots of placing sell this for making pancakes.