Wug2 HG-1 User Experience

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bradenl123

#1: Post by bradenl123 »

My motor kit should be shipping next week and arriving within the week. I will mark my initial impressions and user experience. I am mechanically un-inclined so if I can put it together anyone can. I am excited to see how variable speed on a conical effects the shots. I don't have any tools to measure anything so it will be by taste only.

Braden

DaveB

#2: Post by DaveB »

bradenl123 wrote:I am excited to see how variable speed on a conical effects the shots.
Denis settled on 120 RPM for the MonCon. I'm assuming it was primarily to minimize static/retention.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

JBSmoovee

#3: Post by JBSmoovee »

For the price of this mod, you can get a Niche Zero. Not seeing the benefit?

bradenl123 (original poster)

#4: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Joel,

I love the HG-1. My burrs are aligned perfectly. I have the TiN coat. The only thing to make it better is adding a motor. The Niche can't go from motorized to manual. The HG-1 can. I also like big conicals. It is also variable speed. I don't really want a Niche to be honest. Maybe in a few years...HG-1 has been around for awhile.

Braden

Bunkmil

#5: Post by Bunkmil »

Mine has also been shipped. Can't wait to try the motorized version of a manual grinder that I already have been enjoying for the past few years!

jagobear

#6: Post by jagobear »

Hg one and Niche Zero is different class grinder

83mm conical is much more expensive

The motor power requirement is different level

JBSmoovee

#7: Post by JBSmoovee »

Right, bigger burrs equals bigger motor torque requirement. I just don't think it translates in the cup, as the prototype HG-1s had smaller burrs, and most preferred them over the larger 83s.

When I get my Niche I'll have some comparisons, but I expect I will get more consistent results from the motorized Niche then the un-motorized HG-1.

bradenl123 (original poster)

#8: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Joel, what don't you think translates in the cup? Bigger burrs? Honestly, I don't really care. I had a Monolith Conical on pre-order and sold it. A Niche might not last forever. An HG-1 will. The motorized version might not but I ENJOY handgrinding. I got the motorized to try it out. To each his own. I probably wouldn't notice a difference between the two. The HG-1 is more aesthetically pleasing to me. But yeah let me know your thoughts when you get it. I don't think you'll notice a difference. I don't think most will or at a minimum the shots will be different.

Braden

hankua
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by hankua »

Mine arrived the other day DOA (dead on arrival), although it was packed very well. The video instructions are good to follow, in my case somewhere inside the case there's probably a short. There are a ton of wires, connectors, speed controller, power supply, and have taken it apart many times working with Wug. Obviously I'm a bit disappointed after putting it all together to find out the 4.6kg motor's not working; but hopefully a solution will happen. In all fairness if it turns out I make some mistake, I'll edit this post.

eltakeiteasy

#10: Post by eltakeiteasy »

JBSmoovee wrote:For the price of this mod, you can get a Niche Zero. Not seeing the benefit?
The aesthetics of the Niche kill it for me. The HG-1 is more like a piece of art while the Niche is very "plas-tacky"
LMWDP #672.