Wug2 HG-1 User Experience - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#121: Post by pcrussell50 »

Guys you should really consider this. The look and feel, the sound, smooth and quiet. It is a serious improvement in look and feel. It has the look and feel of today's glitzy high end single dosers. A true pleasure to use.

David has one for sale, already with an HG-1, already built and operating. I almost bought it myself but I already had an HG-1 so in the end it was a better deal for me to just buy the kit.

But if you don't have an HG-1 or want another motorized, look up David's listing:

[FS] HG-1 Wug2Grinder (Canada)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

truemagellen

#122: Post by truemagellen replying to pcrussell50 »

I think because it is the older version people aren't biting. I'm impressed by the improvements of Wug2 over the last year, my engineering side loves it. My marketing business side says slow down :) as many are waiting for the next latest change and know they don't need to wait too long :).

andino

#123: Post by andino »

I have a wug2 from the prior round and quite like it. Had a few hiccups along upon arrival which Dan handled with grace. Highly recommend snagging one for your HG-1 if you're on the fence.
LMWDP #635

pcrussell50

#124: Post by pcrussell50 replying to andino »

Nowadays it's not even a kit anymore. It comes already wired up. Just bolt it on and go.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

thesharpener

#125: Post by thesharpener »

I've had the pro version of the kit installed on my HG-1 for about two weeks now. Initially I had a bit of buyers remorse in the waiting period between purchase and delivery because there just isn't a lot of information about the kit from real world users, so that's why I'm contributing to this thread.

Now that I have the Wug2 motor kit, I'm really happy with the purchase, and I believe the modification to the grinder is definitely worthwhile. After 2+ years of hand cranking, I'm very happy to just step up to the grinder, pour in my dose, and press a button, and no more worries about smashing my knuckles on the the low cabinets. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it.

The shipment packaging was superb. The motor kit was well protected in mold of some type of foam. It's hard to imagine any shipping damage with how well packed it was.

The Wug2 motor kit itself is massively heavy, and the build quality seems really solid, although this needs to be proven over time. The design (to me, subjectively) feels a little less refined/sleek than LWW but I'm a form over function person so this doesn't bother me. I do wish there was a plate provided to replace the original handle, which feels out of place with the crank and flywheel gone, but I suppose this is something that could be fabricated independently.

The kit easily bolted right on, and I was grinding in about 10 minutes after unboxing. Granted, I had no trouble removing the bolts from the base of the HG-1. I did apply some anti-seize stuff to the bolts as recommended in the other thread discussing the HG-1 bolt issue. I'm pretty self sufficient, but some instructional material would have been nice (none included with mine, maybe different for others). The Wug2 youtube has a little bit of information for getting started.

I needed to adjust my grind setting about a full number on the HG-1 dial (I forget which way, but I think toward the coarser direction). I don't have any explanation for this. My guesses are that I either: (1) Accidentally moved the adjustment ring during installation (but I did have it taped down), or (2) the more even grind speed/torque of the motor kit subtly changes the grind quality.

The footprint of the Wug2 HG-1 is smaller than the unmodded HG-1, which is nice for my smallish coffee area. After installing the kit, the orientation of the grinder rotates 90 degrees because the flywheel and crank are gone, replaced by the motor kit, which means the factory grinder setting dot isn't as easy to see. This is easy to work around, just add a new dot (or a thin strip of electrical tape) in a more visible place.

The RPM adjustment knob and real time RPM display are directly in front of the grinder funnel outlet, so if you dose directly into a portafilter, you need to orient the portafilter handle around the eight- or nine-o'clock position (instead of six-o'clock). Just a minor adjustment to workflow. I dose directly into a LWW tumbler, my workflow hasn't changed.

The pro version has a fan, which is very quiet, however a few times right after switching the grinder on the fan made a bunch of clickity clackity sounds (15 seconds or so) before returning to it's near silent operation. Not sure if this will be an issue or just an artifact. I'll wait and see.

Overall, I'm really happy, and would recommend this kit to anyone considering motorizing their HG-1
Pete - LMWDP #572