Wug2 HG-1 User Experience - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

#111: Post by pcrussell50 »

Looks like the opportunity to order from this batch will close soon. Tomorrow, maybe. Anyone else order besides me?

This thread used to be alive with excitement. Seems kind of petered out now. :(

-Peter
LMWDP #553

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#112: Post by njtnjt replying to pcrussell50 »

Im still on the fence. Waiting to hear how the new design works for folks. Thanks for keeping the thread alive...
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

pcrussell50

#113: Post by pcrussell50 »

I wonder if something about the new design is scaring some folks? I'm not crazy about it either, BUT my eagerness for this mod got the better of me and overwhelmed my other concerns.

I'll report back over time. Looks like I might be the only one. At least the only here at HB.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#114: Post by njtnjt replying to pcrussell50 »

Hi Peter,

Please do report back on your experiences with the install and the new design. I'd like to motorize my HG1 someday and like this design the best so far. I hope it works out great for you. Thanks!
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414

pcrussell50

#115: Post by pcrussell50 »

Window now closed. Looks like I'm the only one in this batch. I'll report back.

IIRC, Daniel said this one will be no kit building. Remove the old base, (I've already loosened mine and re assembled with anti seize), and put the grinding section on the motor (line up coupler to key on shaft). Tighten screws. Done.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#116: Post by njtnjt replying to pcrussell50 »

Sounds as easy as it gets!
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414

pcrussell50

#117: Post by pcrussell50 »

Got it. Had it a few days now, and very happy with it. It's quiet and smooth and has the look and feel of today's "next gen" single dosing grinders.

This is mine in action the first day, not one of Daniel's test mules:
Kit came already assembled and installation was pretty straightforward, though I did have to take the covers off to loosen the motor mount screws, to wiggle the grinder shaft on/in to the motor drive coupler. Then I tightened the motor mounts back up and re installed the covers. When I removed the back cover, I pulled a couple of wires out but they were easy to put back and I got confirmation from Daniel where they go via email and photo attachments.

No complaints about the kit and overall very happy with the look and feel and operation. Hand cranking never bothered me much, but this seems more tidy and compact, plus it feels like a new toy.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

wug2grinder

#118: Post by wug2grinder »

pcrussell50 wrote:I did have to take the covers off to loosen the motor mount screws, to wiggle the grinder shaft on/in to the motor drive coupler.
Peter, may be you can elaborate a bit more about that as I don't expect user need to do this. All the mod we used our own hg-1 test unit to assemble to ensure the shaft can be easily go into the coupler.

Thank you for your review.

pcrussell50

#119: Post by pcrussell50 »

Certainly Daniel.

When you place the dowels in the bottom of the grinder down into the holes for them on the bottom plate of the WUG2, you then swing the grinder upwards, with the dowels in place in the bottom aiming to guide the axle of the grinder into the coupling on the WUG2. The axle of the grinder axle is about 2cm long, maybe a little less. Anyway as you arc the grinder upwards with the grinder axle aiming for the hole in the drive coupling of the WUG2, you see that it is traveling in an arc originating at the base, so the grinder axle must enter the drive coupling on an arc. Because of this, the top of the grinder axle is one or two millimeters too high and impacts the top of the opening to the coupler. This was easily fixed by loosening the motor mounts so the motor could be shifted upwards just a couple of millimeters so grinder axle could enter the coupler on the WUG2. Once this was done, I could lower the motor again and tighten the mounting bolts.

Is this explanation suitable, Daniel? I don't have a drawing app, but I could produce a sketch and attach it as a photo if that would help.

If there was another way to do this, it would be useful to know. Maybe create a video demonstration of how to do it?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

wug2grinder

#120: Post by wug2grinder »

pcrussell50 wrote:Certainly Daniel.

When you place the dowels in the bottom of the grinder down into the holes for them on the bottom plate of the WUG2, you then swing.....

-Peter
I see the problem, it's because we use those relatively new hg-1 which dowels can be easily removed. Actually we don't expect to keep these two dowels.

Let me think about this situation and see how to further improve this. Thank you for raising this problem.