Would love single dosing showdown! Lyn Weber EG-1 vs Monolith Flat vs Monolith Conical (and more!)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

Deep down you all know this review is part of the destiny of HB. Its not a matter of if, but when.

The showdown of the 2016 best of breed single dosing grinders.

Owners of these grinders - The less fortunate members on the forum who aren't able to purchase these fine pieces of equipment are on the edge of our seats !

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Certainly didn't miss it, and should he want to participate in this sort of back to back review KWANTFM seems to personally own 2 out of the 3 pieces of the puzzle! The ultimate showdown in my mind would involve all 3 grinders being in the same location for some blind tastings.

CoffeeBar

#4: Post by CoffeeBar »

I don't understand why Flat vs Conical? :roll:

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I am taking my Monolith Conical to my friends house this weekend to see his new EG1. We will head to head pull shots on his one group Slayer. We will also use his Versalab. Once my Monolith Flat arrives we will do it again flat versus flat. We will for sure hit our caffeine limit.
LMWDP #371

canuckcoffeeguy

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

An ultimate single dosing showdown would ideally involve a Titus as well. That would be a royal rumble of grinders.

CoffeeBar

#7: Post by CoffeeBar »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:I am taking my Monolith Conical to my friends house this weekend to see his new EG1. We will head to head pull shots on his one group Slayer. We will also use his Versalab. Once my Monolith Flat arrives we will do it again flat versus flat. We will for sure hit our caffeine limit.
What a good news Jeremy, I look forward to your review on this EG-1 Flat vs Monolite Flat's competition. I guarantee you will have too much caffeine then :wink:
canuckcoffeeguy wrote: An ultimate single dosing showdown would ideally involve a Titus as well. That would be a royal rumble of grinders.
+1,yes let the party start :D

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by FotonDrv »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:An ultimate single dosing showdown would ideally involve a Titus as well. That would be a royal rumble of grinders.
That would be an interesting taste test!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mania

#9: Post by mania »

What would truly make it the ultimate showdown is to throw one or two low tier grinders in there as well if you dare :lol:
Then blind taste test them all & publish the results

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC replying to mania »

Mine were crude and simple, but included the Mazzer Major ( early in the EG-1 home test thread) Again, I think it comes down to what works best in terms of counter space and features, more than what you perceive in the cup. They are all quite capable of excellent results. I have no doubt that the Monolith Flat is way up there at the top either.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/