Working with my new La Cimbali Max Hybrid

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zin1953

#1: Post by zin1953 »

It arrived today. I'll start dialing it in tomorrow Saturday . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

RAS

#2: Post by RAS »

Jason,

I think you're going to like it... As I do mine. I'll be curious what grind setting you end up at. Dialing mine in meant going from #5 (where my old Junior liked to be) down to #2. Man did I get some gushers on my way to that setting!

Also, a question for other conical and conical+planar users... is it wise to dial the grinder down to find the zero-point? Not sure why this would matter other than to be able to better compare your settings with someone else...

I hope this is a weekend of great coffee for you.
Bob

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

RAS wrote:Also, a question for other conical and conical+planar users... is it wise to dial the grinder down to find the zero-point? Not sure why this would matter other than to be able to better compare your settings with someone else...
Unless both grinders are in the same room pulling shots on the same machine on the same roast...

And oh, yeah, the thickness of the burrsets varies...

zin1953 (original poster)

#4: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

OK, I couldn't wait. Friday night, I ground some Espresso Vivace Dolce (roasted 02/09 which I received on 2/11) at the "factory" setting (i.e.: where the machine was set when it arrived) of slightly over "5" on their dial. The espresso was much "thicker" in texture than the shots I'd been pulling on my La Val using the Mini Mazzer or my Quick Mill doserless stepless. Delicious!

I went upstairs thinking about the morning to come . . .

This morning came early, thanks to my chocolate labrador retriever who steadfastly refuses to look at the calendar before waking me up for breakfast at 5:35. No matter how many times I attempt to explain the concept of "weekend" to her, it just doesn't take hold. OK, so after feeding the brown dog, I finished off the last of that bag of coffee by pulling another shot at roughly "3" and another at "2.5," taking a small sip of each and pouring the rest down the sink. Then, since I was now (sadly) awake, I did my weekly backflushing, cleaning and maintenance with Joe-Glo, ran a sink shot (decaf) through the machine, and went back to bed.

When I woke up some three hours later, I went downstairs, pulled out a "fresh" half-pound bag of Vivace Dolce (also roasted on 2/9, but kept in the freezer until this morning), and made my once-daily cappuccino, along with a latte for my wife. As I walked back up, I found myself thinking, Well when you pay this much for something, you're psychologically pre-disposed to believe it makes a significant difference; I'll have to watch that.

Now, obviously Lynn knows I have new grinder in the kitchen, but immediately after taking her first sip, she proclaimed, "Wow! That new grinder does make a difference -- I really notice it in the finish." Well, that's where I was noticing it, too, so . . .

The finish exhibits much more "cocoa" richness than the coffee had when using the Mazzer of Quick Mill, even in milk. Absolutely delicious!

I still need to play around, and dial it in, but so far every shot is richer and shows more depth (with or without milk) than it does with my other grinders. I'll post more later.

Two additional notes about the grinder itself:
  • a) it was absolutely spotless when it arrived -- no coffee beans were ever run through the grinder to check/test it; and,
    b) it is significantly louder than I expected, and deeper in tone (think Harley versus Suzuki). The Mazzer is certainly quieter.
I wonder if a rubber pad underneath the grinder will dampen the sound . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

Don't be afraid to experiment with a wide variety of settings. It took me two weeks to realize the sweet spot on mine was from 3/4 to 1, with an occasional 1/2 and 1-1/4 for outlier coffees.

Not only is the cup improved from my Mini, but I do much less adjusting as the coffees age (usually dialing down 1/4 to 1/2 over the course of a week).

It probably sounds like sour grapes (and maybe it is), but I think the Max made a bigger difference than the GS3 would have. (Yes, I have used the GS3.)
Marshall
Los Angeles

jmcphail

#6: Post by jmcphail »

Just a curious question about your grind setting, at what setting do your burrs start to clash? On my Max/Hybrid I find they start to clash when the setting is at "1".
Marshall wrote:Don't be afraid to experiment with a wide variety of settings. It took me two weeks to realize the sweet spot on mine was from 3/4 to 1, with an occasional 1/2 and 1-1/4 for outlier coffees.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

jmcphail wrote:Just a curious question about your grind setting, at what setting do your burrs start to clash? On my Max/Hybrid I find they start to clash when the setting is at "1".
I have no idea. Obviously it is below (probably well below) 1/2 on mine. BTW mine was left by the factory at 3 or 4, which let the coffee gush through. I don't think "factory setting" means anything on these machines. They don't come with a "recommended" sticker arrow like the Mazzers.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jmcphail

#8: Post by jmcphail »

I noticed on mine, when I took it apart for cleaning, that there were scribe marks on the wheel. I think these were markings from assembly indicating where to align the band of numbers, put there after the grinder was zeroed. It's a working theory anyway.

I'd initially heard that these grinders weren't zeroed and that the numbers don't mean anything, but then I found the scribe marks...

Before reassembling the adjustment gear and marking wheel I dialed the upper burr down gradually by hand until the burrs clashed slightly. Then when I fastened the gear and marking wheel in position, 1 lined up centered in the view window.

What I don't get is why they marked "1" instead of "0", but there are two scribe marks on the wheel - one where "1" lines up, and one where "0" lines up, about a quarter-inch apart or so. Maybe a miscommunication during assembly, or a do-over, a mistake?

cafeIKE

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

There's a dial :?: :o :P

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

On both of my Max grinders, I turned them on and dialed them down until the burrs started to touch. Then I pulled the hopper off and removed the index ring and reset it to, or very close to zero. You just remove those three screws and lift.

Dave Stephens