Woo hoo, Mahlkonig E65S GBW grinder is on the way!!!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Rosso Corsa

#1: Post by Rosso Corsa »

:mrgreen: Well, after waiting nearly a month for a E65S GBW grinder on back order, it's being shipped tomorrow. Hopefully, it will arrive by Christmas to take its place by my new Dalla Corte Mina.

I still need to find some beans to season the burrs (where do you get these?) and more to start playing with the DCM flow profiling and pulling shots... Santa is coming early!

Cheers!
“I am one with the espresso, the espresso is in me.”

giboja

#2: Post by giboja »

Hope your will come better aligned than mine.
Anyway, even if misaligned badly as mine was, do not give up, it can be done, needs time and patience and some alu foil.

Take care not to adjust finest setting to tight, when motor starts spinning rotating burr rises a tiny bit.... leave some play there.

txrpls

#3: Post by txrpls »

I recived mine a couple of month ago. I love the machine. I did have to adjust the burrs to get the grind down fine enough. Now that we have a few pounds of coffee through it, I find that I need to keep opening the gap a little. It seems like the burrs are getting broke in. I zeroed it on my default grind setting for my normal beans (I rarely change beans). So now the DDD reads 0.000mm > 0.07mm . I am still trying to find out what the red 0.07 means.

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

Rosso Corsa wrote::mrgreen: Well, after waiting nearly a month for a E65S GBW grinder on back order, it's being shipped tomorrow. Hopefully, it will arrive by Christmas to take its place by my new Dalla Corte Mina.
That's going to be a good-looking setup.

giboja

#5: Post by giboja »

@txrpls
Did you have to just adjust mechanism or to align the burrs?

txrpls

#6: Post by txrpls replying to giboja »

I adjusted the burrs. I could tell that they where not perfectly parallel by when turning. I think after a few pounds through the machine, they are much closer to parallel. I keep having to open the grind a little after time.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by blondica73 »

txrpls wrote:I adjusted the burrs. I could tell that they where not perfectly parallel by when turning. I think after a few ponds through the machine, they are much closer to parallel. I keep having to open the grind a little after time.
Did you use the marker and aluminum foil method?

Rosso Corsa (original poster)

#8: Post by Rosso Corsa (original poster) »

Thanks Giboja for your reply... I will report back on my findings on the burr alignment and overall impression of the unit. I have precision equipment for measurements and precision shims as well (machinists kit), so I will be eager to learn how well aligned it is and how easy it is to adjust if necessary.

Cheers!

Rosso Corsa (original poster)

#9: Post by Rosso Corsa (original poster) »

txrpls wrote:I adjusted the burrs. I could tell that they where not perfectly parallel by when turning. I think after a few ponds through the machine, they are much closer to parallel. I keep having to open the grind a little after time.

Did you get some outdated beans for the initial seasoning? If so, where did you get them, a local artisan roaster?

Cheers!

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by blondica73 »

Grocery store beans for seasoning, $5/lb. :D