Why a timer on a single dose grinder?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lmolter

#1: Post by lmolter »

I use my Rancilio grinder as a single-dose grinder. I keep the beans in in an air-tight canister. Anyway, the Rancilio clumps and hold between .5 and 1 gram per dose. I routinely whack the side of it to release a held nugget.

So I got the go-ahead to investigate a real single-dose grinder, but I'm confused about why these grinders have timers. Don't you just weigh the beans, dump them in, and press the grind button till nothing more comes out?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Timer grinders deliver a single dose from a hopper full of beans.

They aren't single-dosing grinders in the sense that you are thinking about.

(Sometimes timer grinders are labeled as dosing grinders to differentiate them from grinders that have a doser out front.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

Be aware that many 'single dose' grinders retain quite a bit of coffee so a shot is some [amount TBD] of the last grind and some of this. Puffing may mitigate, depending on the grind chamber and throat geometry.

Timed 'single shot' hopper grinders make sense for multiple shots is less than 5 minutes. Longer if they retain less than 0.5g, preferably < 0.25g, which is very hard to achieve.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I use "single dose" for grinders that are the grind-until-empty types (Monolith, Niche Zero, Weber Key) and "on demand" for those that have a hopper and timer (e.g., Mazzer Mini E, Lucca Atom 75) dosing directly into the portafilter versus a hopper and doser with a handle to whack (e.g., Compak K10 Pro Barista).
Dan Kehn

palica

#5: Post by palica »

I do not have a timer on my 1Zpresso J-Max... :lol:

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

HB wrote:I use "single dose" for grinders that are the grind-until-empty types (Monolith, Niche Zero, Weber Key) and "on demand" for those that have a hopper and timer (e.g., Mazzer Mini E, Lucca Atom 75) dosing directly into the portafilter versus a hopper and doser with a handle to whack (e.g., Compak K10 Pro Barista).
I do too, but then there is manufacturers' and retailers' marketing ... "single-dose" seems to be approaching "saturated group" for dilution of a term's meaning, e.g., now it seems that the Silvia has a saturated group :roll:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

spopinski

#7: Post by spopinski »

In case of DF64, the timed shut off is to protect the rotor from over heating.

Christobol
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Christobol »

Not overheating is certainly a good reason.

Also it's just nice that the machine turns off after a certain amount of time. With my Niche Zero I measure out the beans, then toss them in. I sometimes wish that the grinder would turn off after 25-30 seconds as I'm busy prepping breakfast or something and don't want to stop what I'm doing to flip the Niche off.

So I think it's a rather nice feature... and if it's adjustable that's great as different grind settings will need more or less time to grind.

lmolter (original poster)

#9: Post by lmolter (original poster) »

Oh, I get it now. I *was* thinking of a grinder I saw that ground only what was tossed into the grinder body -- no hopper. The disks inside were vertical to eliminate clumps. But... I lost track of who made that one. And it was over $1K US.

I have a Cuisinart that I used for a daily pot of coffee. It had a timer for the number of cups you were grinding for. SO, yeah, a timer for a single dose.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The question is more like, why not have a timer?

A timing function is about the most basic and cheapest function to add/include on any device that probably exists in the architecture of the 'chips' or microprocessors already being use. So if a timer and a display already exist in the circuitry, why not include it?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"